CPOD

Posted , 5 users are following.

I went for an Astma test today and was told I have COPD and was asked several times if I smoked I may have a a quick drag behind the bike shed at school. None of my family smoke all too tight to see our hard earned money go up in smoke, like everyone else I have been in smokey areas so have probably breathed someone elses smoke.  Recently a friend reminded me I had been in contact with asbestos when working in the laboratory in the 1960.s as the work benches were covered in sheets of the stuff. When looking up CPOD the blurb all seems to relate to smoking. I think all my problems relate to Graves disease which caused my heart to work over time. I have recently been prescribed Felodipine for high blood pressure and now have quite a few side effects swollen ankles bright red hot rash face arms and legs fingernails breaking. I have also put on 9lbs in weight gone from a 38" bra to 42" bra in the last two weeks and have developed a spare tyre. I have pains in my neck, shoulders, arms and legs. I am going to have yet another x-ray tomorow  and have been prescribed a Spiriva 18 microgram handihaler. Is there anyone else out there who has never been a smoker? regards Jacky     

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am sorry to hear about your health problems and being diagnosed with COPD.  I must admit smoking caused mine and this is the same for most of us.  However it is is not unheard of to be diagnosed and never smoked.  You can also get it from being around others smoking for a long time,  in certain types of employment ie the rag trade and asbestosis is a known risk.   x

• Posted

May I ask what your experience of giving up smoking was like? Did you find it very difficult? Was there anything that you found particularly helpful? I've drastically cut down the number of cigarettes I smoke every day, but I still haven't gone more than a day and a half without smoking. I am going to quit, I'm down to between 3 and 5 a day. Just need to take the plunge and do it.
    • Posted

Hello hypercat, When I left school at fifteen I was in a chemistry laboratory the tops of the benches were regulary changed with sheets of asbestos sheets that were cut with a stanly knife next to where you were working and in later life worked for BT where asbestos was in the cable chambers it does make one wonder. I keep blaming everything on Graves disease and wonder if anyone else developed COPD years after Graves (over active thryroid) 
    • Posted

Hiya I stopped smoking the day I was diagnosed and prior to that my health was that baf some days I struggle to walk to the shop I don't wan to jinx myself but I have been a month without a fag and the difference is amazing my breathing I can do more and also my skin you really should try will be sooo worth it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.