Cracked heel

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a type 1 diabetic and about a week ago my heel was very sore to walk on and I noticed the skin on it had cracked badly. I have had this before and am using Flexitol cream twice a day but how long should I do this for? I can still feel the split in the skin, this is after a week of the cream twice a day. Should I just keep filing and putting cream on until I can't feel it any more?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm not diabetic but I've had cracked feet.

Cream is not enough. You probably need to pummice with a hard foot stone,  pummicing followed by cream, and go on doing that for two or so weeks. It takes a bit, but it works. The feet stop cracking.

• Posted

Hi Diane, perhaps you should check with a nurse at your Diabetic Clinic.  Is your foot less sore now?  You don't want it to develop into an ulcer.
  • Posted

Right. Listen to Mrs Mop. I don't know about diabetic feet and wouldnlt want you to rely on pummice when something more serious is going on..

But are you in a hot climate? Or walking barefoot a lot?

• Posted

Thanks Light and mrs mop for comments. I am in UK south east which has had a long spell of dry hot weather so yes, i have been in flip flops and sandals for a while and forgetting my feet. My heel is getting better, not painful, not a weird colour. I will treat it for another week and then review. Certainly been a wake up call.
  • Posted

Periodically, when I am being exceptionally kind to my feet,  I slather some 'Botty Butter'  [like posh vaseline, from Waitrose, for babies bums!] on my feet and put ehm in polythene bags while I am watching television!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.