Cracked/Scaly Philtrum (Moustache Area) PLEASE HELP!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I found a similar post that details the exact condition that I have however have had no luck in contacting the author. If anyone has any additional information it would be greatly appreciated. I have been dealing with this issue for 2+ years now.

Details:

A small but definitive localized spot above my lip (philtrum) has been red, flaking, in pain, and at times a little bit itchy since January. It has never fully healed for a long period of time, and has always required some sort of lubricant in order to keep it from drying out, flaking, and turning more red. At times, it looks completely normal....for a few hours or while being medicated. I have consulted multiple doctors and none have been able to prescribe treatment solutions that have helped short- or long- term to effectively address the issue.

My doctor has swabbed the area and the results have come back negative. This was the report: 'No polymorphonuclear cells seen, no squamous epithelial cells seen, no organisms seen'

My doctor had diagnosed as follows:

persistent redness and small pustules on lip, philtrum since January, despite zovirax/caltrex/Hyderm

Over the months, I have also exposed my lip to many different environments with no change in any environment (under safe protective conditions):

1. Extremely hot weather
  2. Extremely cold weather
  3. Direct sunlight
  4. Shade

I have tried the below solutions without addressing the root issue and eliminating the problem - please help!!! Attempted solutions:

5. Tea Tree Oil
  6. Vaseline
  7. Hydrogen Peroxide
  8. Zovirax
  9. Bioderm (antibiotic treatment)
  10. GM Hyderm Cream 1%
  11. Hydrocortisone cream 0.5%
  12. Fucidin Ointment 2%
  13. Vitamin E 100% pure oil
  14. Face cream (Complex 15, Clinique moisturizing lotion)
  15. Nothing on the area at all

What can this issue be? What other possible solutions can I try? I have provided ample time inbetween medications/ointments/creams and even spent weeks without putting anything on at all. The result remains the same: irritated, red, flaky skin that gets inflammed (?) without specific triggers.

I have not put on any creams, lotions, make-up, cleansers, soaps, or anything new that I have not already used for years. Since the irritation, I have stopped using all products in that entire area. I have cleaned with only water and rarely with gentle soap (e.g. after swimming or sunscreen use).

Thank you for your attention, diagnosis, and suggestions for remedies!!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'm not sure what the pustuals are about and I would suggest adding Zinc 50 mg 1 -2 x per day but for the cracking and scaliness, try Cocolene's Rescue Salve. That works wonders. I'm surprised your Derma didn't think it was a type of dermatitis.

For the redness use their Himalayan Salt Bar.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.