Cracking sound in hip area

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am waiting for a THR. Apparently I have no remaining cartliage.

My question is, has anyone had experience of being aware of a cracking sound from the hip area ? There is no pain involved (that's in my leg and knee) just an annoying crackling sound for a while when I move.

Is it anything to worry about ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Hi terrible that we are all now waiting for our ops so we just have to suffer 😔 but I think what you are describing is bone on bone as you explain it by the no cartilage left so I can't think it's anything to worry about persa

The pain is all referred from the hip and I'm glad you are still managing to walk

I'm down to crutches and a frame grrrr

Hopefully want be long

• Posted

I suppose I'm lucky in that I can still walk about my flat unaided but, I need an elbow crutch, which I've had since September, when I go outside.

Dressing and undressing is becoming more of a problem now.

• Edited

I had exactly the same for a few months before my op. I was lucky enough to have had it in March.

It's because of the osteoarthritis and cartilage being worn away. The pain I had was awful and I had to use a walking stick all the time. My hip packed up and I had one leg shorter with a limp. I really do feel for you.

I would suggest you take things easy and know your limits. We don't know how long you'll have to wait now. if you overdo it. Speak to your GP.

Take care x

• Posted

I'm now noticing my bad leg is shorter than the other. I have to use an elbow crutch when outside, inside I can still walk unaided but I think it's because I know I can hold on to furniture.

The surgeon who's doing my op says he'll get me in as soon as Orthpaedics are permitted to go ahead. At the moment the hospital is being used by the NHS for urgent cancer surgery.

GP is no help really other than write prescriptions for pain killers which, as we all know, aren't very effective.

• Edited

I hope you don't have to wait too long. My leg was also shorter, but my surgeon told me that he would sort that out, and he did. Hope your surgeon will be able to make your legs equal too.

All the best, Judith

• Edited

Hi Dale...

Your snapping/cracking in knees and hips is something called Crepitus.. Very common even with people who are runners and have no issues with knees and hips. I have the same thing in my knee on the opposite side from where I had a hip replacement. Isn't it nice to have something less to think about and not have to deal with pain.

You can grow cartilage to some degree which I'm researching ..... a long process but I'm hoping to avoid another surgery. I'm looking into stem cells. Good luck with your surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.