Crackling Ears For Over A Month.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I hope you're well.

For over the last month I have had crackling in both of my ears every time I swallow & they generally seem quite full as well. I went to my GP after 3 weeks & he checked my ears, seemed quite dismissive & said that this happens after a cold or flu. I informed him that I haven't had a cold or flu so he said I must just clean my ears too much. He told me to wait it out & didn't give me anything.

I went back again last week. He checked my ears & said it didn't seem like I had an infection or anything & seemed dismissive I told him that something must be wrong because this isn't normal. He prescribed me Sofradex ear drops.

I've tried popping my ears & all sorts. The only thing that seems to work is when I bring up Phlegm. I'm ok for the first second & then the crackling returns!

Anybody have any advice as this is really starting to get to me now.

Kind Regards

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like excess fluid in the Ear Cannal. When you swallow there is a pressure drop and thetube that connects the ear to your throat closes slightly and you get that crackling sound when fluid meats the oter wall (a bit like the noise you hear when you tap the flat of your tongue against the roof of your mouth). The ear drops he gave are basically olive oil. This will soften any blockage in the Ear Cannal but to clear your Eustachian tube, blowing your nose often will help. Do you smoke? Hope you start feeling better smile AL.

• Posted

How old are you? Do you suffer with occasional blocked nose or sinus problems? I understand you haven't had a cold since these ear symptoms started? Have you tried decongestant tablets or nose sprais every day for 1 week and Valsalva manoeuvres? If you did and the crackling and the hearing are still a problem after 3-6 weeks, you could see an audiologist to examine your ears for earwax and to do a tympanogram which will check your middle ear pressure. If this confirms glue ear despite trying decongestant medication, you will have to see an ENT consultant to assess your ears, nose and Throat and consider grommets insertion. I assume that your GP has ruled out earwax as a problem in your case already?

• Posted

Hi Gafboy

Coughing up stuff is probably the crap that is trying to drain out of your middle ear.  This is not visible like ear wax in the outer ear.  Can be really annoying, I know, wish I had some advice. Sorry.  You should see a different doc.  You deserve to have 1 who is willing to help.

Get better soon

• Posted

First. Your Doctor does not know what is wrong so he keeps repeating all he knows. That your outer ear is clean, and your outer ear drum looks normal. Second. I expect you have an infection behind your ear drum, and your phlegm is either this infection dripping out of the middle ear canal or you infection is in the throat and nose but has spread to the middle ear via the canal.

Many infections are viral. To prevent and treat eat lots of good fruit, and at least for a few weeks do not eat sugary foods,. This last advice is very simplistic but it will still help.

• Posted

Hi Gafboy

You are obviously not reassured with your GP's response. I would suggest you ask for an ENT referral.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.