Crackling sound on exhale?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I recently went to the doctor with a bad cough, slight fever and coughing up green mucus a lot. I was told my lungs sounded clear (4 days ago) and I have no chest pain, but the doctor gave me antibiotics just "in case" my symptoms worsened over Christmas. A new symptom I have noticed now is, when I exhale, sometimes I get this strange crackling or bubbling noise. Does anyone think it's a good idea to take my antibiotics before seeing my doctor again as I have to wait over the weekend for them to open again?

I am just worried that Penicillin may be harmful to take for something that might not be bacterial, even though I am getting this strange crackling sound and severe cough?

Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

How old are you, do you have asthma or COPD, are you a smoker or ex smoker? 

Are you still getting fevers (by thermometer, not just feeling hot), or getting short of breath? 

• Posted

I'm 19, never smoked in my life, and I haven't a thermometer available to check my temperature but apparently it was in the "low grade" when checked. I don't really struggle to breathe as such but it feels very irritating sometimes when taking a deep breath.
  • Posted

Try to avoid antibiotics. They are very overused for viral cough. Try steam inhalations for  a few days.
    • Posted

Yeah I thought that it would be no use trying the antibiotics if it was viral, but I'm just confused as to the rattling / bubbling noise when I breathe out? Perhaps it's just a build up of mucus blocking the lining of my throat?

Yeah the steam seems to help I just haven't done it that much to be honest I should probably do it more often.

• Posted

Yes it is the is mucus produce by inflammation. Buy yourself a thermometer, they are not expensive any more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.