Cramp and Movement of Ankle

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been having cramping sensation in my leg and ankle for the last day, to be honest that has been one of my fears. As if my leg goes into cramp I am worried it will cause injury to my ankle and tibia. If anyone has experienced this cramping sensation or cramp in the recovering leg or ankle please let me know how you dealt with it. Also I was given a couple of extra exercises from my physio which use my ankle. The Dr has put on my notes I can take my boot off to do light exercise as it's been 8 weeks. I have an appointment with the consultant tommorow. The first was a ballerina pointing of the foot and back and next was spelling the letters of the alphabet with my foot using my ankle not my leg. The physio said it would be stiff but to push through it. I tried this for the first time on Fri eve and tried it again today. I was pretty shocked as to how little I could move it. I know it's been in the boot for over 8 weeks but was disappointed could I really expect it to have a good range of movement or is this normal on your first movements. Any experience I would love to know. Is it also normal for my foot to feel very odd when trying to put it flat on the floor while sitting down not weight bearing but wanted to see how it felt for my foot to be flat on the floor didn't move it literally just sat on the chair trying to get comfortable with it being flat for a few minutes. Any experience I would love to hear. Thank You. Julie ❤️

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Immobilizing the joint will cause it to atrophy within 24 hours, so after 8 weeks, it is startling to see how little range of movement one has. After my most recent ankle immobilization of 8 weeks, I had virtually no movement whatsoever. I am 61, and have to go through it all over again because conservative treatment has failed. Range of motion is what you will try to re-acquire during recovery and PT. By the way, my therapist started me off with the same exercises.

I share your concerns about cramping, and imagine ripping soft tissue to shreds and undoing the doctor's good work. I don't think you have to worry so much about damaging bone at this point. If your doctor took you out of the boot/cast after 8 weeks, he is likely satisfied with how it has healed. By the way, ligaments have poor blood flow and nutrient supply compared to that of bone and tendons, which have much better. Try not to put your foot/ankle/leg in a position that allows cramps to happen, and make sure you take an electrolyte supplement with plenty of water. These can make quite a dramatic difference. Just this morning I was pointing my toes with knees locked straight, and getting a cramp in the back of my calf, which I thought was odd. It may have been the rest of the yoga pose that brought it on, though. I have been taking electrolyte supplements, but I think those muscles haven't been exercised enough and need building back up.

Take it easy and don't try to regain a lot of mobility too quickly. PT should help a lot and ask many questions and follow their advice. It will take work on your part though.

• Posted

Thank you for experiences. I think I am maybe expecting more than is physically possible at the moment. I will try not to be too hard on myself and as you suggest ask questions and do what the physio therapist tells me. I think you believe when the operation is done you think it won't take long before your back to how you were. You don't think about the work still to come to regain the movement in your ankle and that it will take time to even get movement back and to walk again and I guess there is always a chance you may not be as you were before the accident. I will persevere and keep hope that the outcome will be good. Thank you for your thoughts and about the electrolytes. I wish you a good recovery. Julie

• Edited

Hi Julie

Sorry cannot help my cast was just removed after 7 weeks now have a boot. But when I take the boot off cannot put my foot flat on floor no physical therapy back to the Dr June 28 cannot believe the pain still cannot put any weight on my ankle . I guess have to call Dr after 8 weeks see what he says.

Take care feel better

Ann

• Edited

Thank you for your reply. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope everything goes well for you. Remember things will get better. Julie

• Posted

I have suffered from leg cramp for many years and deal with it this way and others who have had the same results. If you drink a tumbler of Indian tonic water that contains quinine within twenty minutes the cramping will be eliminated for the day.

I add a little to my drinking water throughout the day and this makes for a more interesting drink. As an alternative you can ask your doctor to prescribe quinine tablets.

Hope this helps. Cheers Richard

• Posted

Cramping is quite normal especially since you are just beginning to bear weight

Im almost one year into this and still get different sensations in my ankle and leg

Its a long road back Just be patient

• Edited

I had that happen and according to my surgeon he said "yea, people say that happens!" LOL I kind of wanted him to tell me about it but that was all he had to say. I had that charlie horse feeling a lot in the beginning. It should subside for you! 😃

• Edited

Thank you for your reply. Its funny the things you worry about like getting cramp and what might happen there only little things but you still worry. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.