Cramp in my calf after spinal surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all I'm 26 years old and almost 9 weeks ago I had surgery on my back to remove a prolapsed disc that was squashing my sciatic nerve. They also mentioned some bone removal. Before the surgery I had numbness in my left calf foot and toes. Ever since having the surgery I have some feeling back on my calf and foot with tingling sensation on the outside of my calf and foot but still have numbness and very little movement in my toes. I am now experiencing cramping in my left calf, I told my consultant who said this may be something I just have to deal with. That's easier said then done. I went to see my gp who told me to loose weight (says the same every time I go see him) and that he will send me for physio therapy. Is there anyone out there that's experienced the same thing? Does it get any better?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gemma.  I had my surgery two years ago - it was very successful but I continued to get nerve pain in my buttock and calf - not as debilitating as before the op. Since then I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and told to lose weight.  I know it seems that doctors willy-nilly tell you to lose weight - but I finally staged an intervention with myself and lost 3 stone - with the aim of losing another one - the pain from my OA and the lingering nerve pain have receeded and I very rarely have to resort to painkillers.

You are only 9 weeks post surgery.  It takes time - don't be too impatient - take it easy and look after yourself. Don't take any risks.

I hope things improve for you.

• Posted

Oh well done u. It's hard knowing what exercises u can do as one person is saying be very carefully and not to do anything until 3 months then another is saying times up and to start to exercise, they don't say what exercises to start with. Hopefully I will get my referral for therapy soon and maybe they can help. I have always been chubby but since having a bad back and having the op I haven't been able to do much therefore iv put on a few pounds, I'm 5 foot 6 and weigh just over 13 stone. Yh I could do with loosing some but there's bigger people out there than me, it can get quite depressing when u try and keep getting knocked back. I am going to start swimming if I can every day, get back out on my bike as soon as my 12 weeks is up as I was told I'm not aloud to do that for 12 weeks post op.

What did u do to loose the weight?

• Posted

I didn't start doing exercises until about 9 weeks post surgery - I saw a physiotherapist.  You need to take advice from a medical professional. Everyone is different.

For weight loss I went on Weight Watchers - quite difficult at the start but eating less rubbish has made me feel so much healthier as well as the weight loss.  I was just over 13 stone myself and now 10 stone 7.  To maintain a healthy weight I have added lost of brisk walking - uphill! So I can now eat the odd pie!

Silver lining - I'm now a size 12!

• Posted

Well done. My gp said he's is going to refer me to physio so hopefully I will get some advice from them too. I hardly eat much rubbish to be fair, maybe I need to exercise more might help.

• Posted

Hi Gemma I'm 31 and 4 months post op today I had cramps up until a couple of weeks ago walking and stretching has helped a lot but I'm still very stiff and weak in back how does your back feel?

• Posted

I don't feel too bad I do still feel quite weak but I can feel a massive improvement from before the op as I was in a lot of pain for 4 months. I had a sevre weakness in my ankle before my op but 2 weeks after my op we went on a long weekend break away and I did loads of walking, although my ankle gave way a good few times I think going away and doing loads of walking helped. My back does still feel stiff but I occasionally do the exercises I was sent home with if it gets too stiff. A few weeks ago I got a lot of swelling around my scar area, this would happen if I stood or walked for too long, when I told my consultant he just said he's not sure what it was but then that's now stopped. My left foot also is colder than my right, if I take my socks off and my foot gets cold it takes a good half hour to an hour to warm up, maybe these are just things I have to put up with now but I just got worried that there maybe something else wrong x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.