cramping

Posted , 10 users are following.

i’m 14 weeks post op and i’m still learning to walk correctly, my bend is at 90 degrees and improving every week. 

i have trouble sleeping, i take muscle relaxer and i still wake up with severe cramps in my knee. i excercise every day.  has anyone gone through this? does it get better? I have no idea what to take to have a good nights sleep. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lorraine I’m 5 weeks post op on my 2nd TKR I had my first TKR in Oct 2016 and it took me 5-7 months last time to feel back to normal last time,  I remember thinking never again but here I am recovering again,  proof that it does indeed get better.  My first knee had never got more than 90 bend but is doing well and my new knee 5 weeks on is still too swollen and won’t bend at all yet.  Sleepless nights and cramps are back again but this time round I know things will improve with time so please try not to feel down.  It’s a brutal surgery and recovery can be long and harsh but will be worth it in the end.  My Gp gave me quinine sulphate for the cramps and last night I got a full 6 hours without waking up so might be worth speaking to your GP,   Hope you start to feel brighter soon 💐

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

After another night of pain and general discomfort, I used frozen peas on my knees, I then really stretch my knee and point my toes. I really feel for you as it is so uncomfortable.

I also listen to audiobooks that you can find on youtube. I know it sounds odd but I try to focus on the story and eventually drift off. I find it helps. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Lorraine, you are still early in your recovery & unfortunately disturbed sleep goes with the territory! It does improve, slowly you will find the cramps easing, but it's still worth you having a chat with your GP to see what can be done to help you.

I am nearly 18 months from TKR on my right knee & 4 on my left & do not have these problems any more. So believe me it does end!

Hopefully we will be having summer come along soon, even though spring seems to have morphed back into winter!! We all feel much better when the sun shines. 

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Hello Lorraine I am 9 weeks post o.o and have the same problems!It's all muscular due to realignment of knee and learning to walk.I am good during the day but nighttime I sleep total of 4,hours broken sleep.

• Posted

With my knee and prostate problems I was not sleeping well and I bought one of those ION bracelets and for me I have seen a marked improvement. Will never know if it is the bracelet or in the mind,but well pleased just now.

David

• Posted

Hi

I haven't heard if it. Can you let me know where you got it from. Thanks for advice. Will try anything. Glad it helos you

• Posted

Lorraine, keep in mind everyone heals differently. Anyone who tells you "you should be at ..." is stating an opinion, not a fact. Nearly everyone I have heard from experiences trouble sleeping, pain in hip, thigh, and ankle in addition to the obvious knee. Exercise and Rehab are your friends. Push yourself as much as you can. I had a lot of trouble with the stationary bike. 5-10 minutes at even a low impact level left me with increased swelling and pain. Most people find it is a big benefit. 14 weeks seems like a long time. I spent about the first month and a half in a recliner. Beds were pure misery. Even now, 16 months post Right TKR, I use a small pillow under my knee when sleeping on my left side to ease the twisting of the joint. I also have swelling and fluid build up (40 to 50 ml per week) and loud cracking noises with each step. Drs say they've never heard anything like it. They want to redo it and I'm not happy about that. Looking at stem cell treatment as an option. If you have bad high hip (lower back) pain, consider putting OTC heal lifts in the other side shoe. I use 2 to 4 depending on the day. Dr says the legs are the same length, I don't think so. Anyway, good luck to you. If you feel things are not right, talk to your Dr or seek a second or third opinion. 

• Posted

I have the muscle cramps in the form of restless legs. It keeps me awake moving my leg. I take just 2.5 mg hydrocodone (I cut the pills) and it calms my leg. I am 4 wks post for and weaned down to 2.5mg. I hate to take it but no pain & no sleep is horrible. I also take Midol no caffeine and that usually stops the cramps in 15 minutes. Lots of Tylenol so be careful when taking other Tylenol containing meds. Don't know why but it works.

Just when you think things are smooth you hit another wall. The picture of recovery Chico posted a link for is true! Praying things get better soon for you (and all of us).

• Posted

I've had RLS for a looooong time. After trying a lot of meds for it, I settled on 1 mg Xanax (alprazolam), a benzodiazapine like Valium.  Fast acting, calms the legs so I can get to sleep.  At 1 mg, a lot less powerful and addictive than hydrocodone but effective enough on the legs. After all, the goal is to calm the legs not reduce pain.

• Posted

Thank you Chico. This will alleviate the Tylenol problem as well. I will ask my doctor about this.
  • Posted

Wow, I've been dreading cramps post op (I'm 6 weeks, plus 1 week post op broken knee cap - long story), as I got them regularly before the op.  I would get them in all sorts of muscles - inner thigh, hamstring, calf, feet, toes, back, abs, etc. at night, just after a workout, while showering, after sitting awhile.....

The worse ones were the ones in my  knee - which isn't even a muscle so WTH is actually cramping?  What are your cramps like, when you say "in my knee"...? Mine feeling like they are truly in the joint, and straightening the leg was excruciatingly impossible...

Strangely, I haven't had any in my TKR knee since surgery (thank god, I couldn't imagine how it would make a TKR knee feel).  

I've asked my regular Dr., PT over the years, surgeon, The Internet, about the causes of these cramps and how to get rid of them.I just get the same answer - drink more water, drink more gatorade, drink pickle juice (yes), take Mg and Ca (seems to help), stretch.

My TKR surgeon said the cramp in the knee was because things were all out of alignment from the arthritis (doesn't explain the cramps everywhere else).  But maybe the opposite happened with your knee- or in your case the *change* in alignment is causing the cramps.

They are very painful!  Hopefully your leg will eventually adjust!  It is a long healing process!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.