cramping/locking claw hands

Posted , 13 users are following.

My hands lock into a claw and won't move .. it isn't painful just very annoying .. I can wait a moment or two and they relax or I can pull the thumb out .. happens about a dozen times a day .. also my toes cramp and I get cramps up the outsides of my legs starting with side of foot to ankle then goes half way up leg (a 5 pain level) .. are these both PMR symtoms

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Could this be 'trigger' fingers? Those of us with PMR tend to get this condition. Steroid injectis help.
  • Posted

My cramps were severe in the beginning (20 mg/day pred) with the same symptons you describe. Even with magnesium and plenty of hydration they didn't subside until I was down to 5 mg/day. Now that I am down to 3 mg/day the cramps are few and far between. My rheumatologist told me that the cramping is prednisone related. Even though I had PMR the cramps did'nt begin until after I began the prednisone. Hopefully your cramps will diminish as you taper the pred. Good luck.

John

• Posted

Mine seem to increase as I taper .. I just went from 20 to 17 and the cramping is worse .. had them in my right leg and foot and right hand last night ..
    • Posted

I had cramps with PMR that were nothing to do with pred - it can be either. My middle toes would curl downwards - any time of day or night and it lasted several minutes. Also along my instep. My hands cramped when I used them - I had to unfold them from around things, like the handle of the iron - and so did my forearms very occasionally.

Definitely not pred - they wouldn't diagnose PMR so no management of any sort.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.