Cramping sensation in left leg when sitting down or standing still

Posted , 2 users are following.

So I have been having leg pains since April, so around 6 months now. I believe it was caused by not stretching properly before exercising, but thats unclear. Whenever I sit down or stand still for more than 20 minutes, I begin to have a tightening sensation in my left leg which I can only compare to a cramp. Interestingly, I don't have any pain when I lie down completely flat. The pain/ache is underneath my leg and is mostly located above and below my knee, the pain seems to stem from my upper thigh. I went to see my physiotherapist for an assessment, she said that the pain was due to me growing a lot in a short amount of time, which is true; I recently underwent treatment for crohns disease which meant I started growing much faster. She gave me two stretches to repeat 2 times, holding for 30 seconds, 4 times a day, for 6 weeks. It has been 16 weeks now and I am still suffering from the same pain and symptoms. Has anyone experienced anything similar and maybe have any solutions they found? I am studying at college, so leg pains when sitting down is incredibly inconvenient for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For context, I am a 17 year old male.

The two stretches my physiotherapist recommended:

Hamstring stretch 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mfIHcjSCtY

Quadricep stretch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP7J-foKtPw

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Isaac, personally I would go to a chiropractor or an osteopath rather than a physio. A chiropractors mum that I know said most peoples problems are caused by tight muscles which I know is true. But if your problems are coming from your back which they could be then I definitely wouldnt be using that method for my hamstrings. One thing Ive come across recently which I didnt know about is a massage foam roller. I got mine from Amazon and the reviews were fantastic, mine is the Maximo fitness foam roller, its not easy for me to use (Im 63 so no spring chicken) but I do my best and yes if the muscles are tight then it does hurt but my goodness me, after only one go with it, within half an hour I felt so much better. I also came across a fantastic exercise for knee pain on Youtube which literally only takes a minute and after weeks of pain I feel so much better. Sitting on the bed like that with legs out straight puts tremendous strain on the back. Anyways Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.