Cramps and twitches! Hyperthyroid?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I've been recently been diagnosed with Hyperthyroid, however I'm showing more signs of hypothyroid, my legs and hands cramp a lot of the time, does anyone else get these symptoms? Also terrible pins and needles. I do get the other 'normal,' symptoms, hot flashes, sweating, toilet trips, fatigue etc. But I'm also aching and just have a general unwelnness, is this normal? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Muscle cramps and the other symptoms you mention are very common in hyperthyroid patients because hyperthyroid patients lose vitamins, minerals and amino acids from their muscles and these need to be replaced.  I was tested and found to be carnitine-deficient and vitamin D deficient that I know about and added those supplements to my treatment.  I have not been tested for any others but would like to get them all tested in the coming year.  There was a research study that showed that hyperthyroid patients benefit from the addition of L-carntiine to their treatment.  It sure helped me.
    • Posted

LInda can I ask what other vitamins/minerals you're considering being tested for? I'm sure John and others reading this who would also be interested. Thanks
    • Posted

My Naturopath told me he was working with a new lab and they would test for all vitamins, minerals etc but it would cost $300.00.  So I am saving up to get that done this year.  I know I was low on Magnesium, though not deficient as I had that one tested as well by my doc.  I thjink magnesium is very important for hyperthyroid patients to take as well. The three I had tested, Free and Total Carnitine, vitamin D and magnesium were done by my family doc upon my request.  In addition to the Carnitine and Vitamin D, I take Krill oil (an omega 3 fish oil to fight inflammation as I also have arthritis), curcumin, Milk Thistle for liver, and Zinc. 
    • Posted

Thanks Linda, the cost of saliva test also expensive.

I asked my GP to run a vitamin and mineral panel and he looked at me as though I had 10 heads and asked "and how's that going to help you?"  

Yep I take all those supplements you mention with the exception of magnesium.  

• Posted

Actually the vitamin D deficiency was found in a research project I volunteered for.  The Carnitines, I showed my doc the article from Dr. Salvatore Benvenga on Carnitine.  I had to pay above the medical plan though for those two tests.
  • Posted

I'm not sure, have to go back to the docs on Friday, as soon as I know i'll post them on here. I was just worried about the twitching and the cramps, but I'm sure it's down to lack of vitamins etc.

Thank you for your advice.

• Posted

Yes these symptoms are definitely related to your diagnosis, and Thankyou for helping me to realise that's the reason I also suffer with these same discomforts, I was beginning to think it was just old age! ( I suffer with Hypopara thyroidism, I think they're all related)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.