Cramps in toes, feet and calf muscles

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had cramps in my toes and feet while driving and also night cramps in my calf muscles.  My GP prescribed some quinine based medication for a month which helped enormously.

My dentist told me that her father who gets cramps drank schweppes indian tonic water (very small can) and that helped him a lot.  I mentioned this to my GP who said that I could take the tonic - perhaps a can every other day.  I have to give it a go.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

first thing to try is massage of areas affected

then yoga type movments, first thing in morning

feet over end of bed  rotate gently both directions

self massage helps those with CFS/ME of back

and shoulders areas

statins are known to cause  problems of severe cramp

in legs and a similar condition known as plantar fasciaiitis in feet

mike

• Posted

Sigatoka Hi, I do have plantar fasciaiitis as well, I am drinking 2 pints of diet tonic water a day to see if it stops it. I have not had another one yet, but they are happening aroiund every 4-6 weeks so will need to see after 8 weeks. The pain is too bad to do anything when it occurs, but scream and try and find a way to relax it. With respect I have just read another reply and I have had cramp in my toes and lower legs before . The pain when it occurs in the thighs and up into the stomach does not compare it is terrifying. I am not on statins but I do use sweeteners so will cut them out as well.
    • Posted

Hi Rosey93

I also have suffered with plantar fasciatis as well.  To minimise the problem, my GP sent me off to see a sports physiotherapist who recommended I get a good pair of trainers from sweatshop.  I must say that has helped enormously and I practically live in trainers.

• Posted

Hi Sigatoka, yes I have seen a podiatrist whongave me some insoles, just va struggle to put them in shoes without spoiling the shoes. It does help though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.