Craniofacial hyperhidrosis - a big thank you

Posted , 7 users are following.

I will be 60 next month and for the last 20 years I have had the most terrible head and face sweating. I stopped wearing make up as I looked less like Alice in Wonderland and more Alice Cooper after a few mins. Shopping was out of the question as within a few mins of entering a shop I was dripping sweat. In winter I walked around with a t-shirt on to try and keep myself cool. My bedroom window is always open and I sleep under a sheet and even then I wake up drenched. My husband has moved into the spare room sad as he needs to be warm and the heat from his body was like sleeping next to a radiator. Far too hot!

In the beginning I thought it was the menapause and then I wondered if the sweating was a side effect of Thyroxine. My GP reduced my Thyroxine from 75mcg to 50mcg and my bloods were normal with the reuced amount but the sweating continued. I was heartbroken so I researched head and face sweating and found this forum. Quite a few people suffered in the same way so it good to know I was not alone but of course that didn't bring any relief and then I read a few posts about Oxybutynin. Armed with information I went to see my GP and asked her if she would prescribe Oxybutynin for me. She did and I started taking it the same day, 16th November 2016. The acid test came 5 days later when I went to my local shopping mall, Meadowhall in Sheffield. I parked in my usual place which is by Boots. I walk through Boots to enter the rest of the mall. If I stay too long in Boots I am sweating so badly I look like I've just got out of a shower. This day, however, was different. I made a conscious decision to stay in Boots and look longingly at the make up I've not used for 2 decades. I was in there for 20 minutes and I was hot but no sweating. In the queue to buy my mascara a woman turned to me and said, 'it's hot in here isn't it?' 'Yes' I replied, 'it is very hot'. To everyone on here who mentioned Oxybutynin I thank you from the bottom of my heart. If it weren't for you I'd never have known about it. I can sleep under a quilt now with my husband. The house is no longer 2 different climates (bedroom icy cold, rest of the house toasty warm) and I sleep through the night now. No more waking up with a wet head and pillow, in short, it has changed my life and I owe all my thanks to people who told their stories and treatment for face and head sweating. You will never know how much I appreciate you and I can't thank you enough. You've given me my life back, you can't put a price on that. Thank you.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your responses to this head-sweating dilema! Woke up with a soaked head again last night, so very tired of this head drenching. I am making an appointment this week with my general practitioner & will have a discussion with her regarding being treated with Oxybutynin. I will certainly post with the results of my discussion & any treatment/results. I have to say though that Menopause does seem to be a common denominator, or at least a starting place, for the begining of head sweating. Will be interested to see how this translates for us women. Happy day all (: So relieved to have others to converse with about this...

• Posted

I think i figured out why I have had severe facial sweating i hurt my back a while back and I see pain mgt for it. They changed my meds to fentyal patches. I wore them for about 3 months and asked my Dr to change them to something else bc I was afraid of the patches bc of my body temperature. You have to be very careful not to get to hot bc it can cause the patch to release more med than it's suppose to. So it was summer and I was sweating so bad to where if I moved I sweated drench. So it scared me so I went back to my pain Dr and told him I did not want to wear the patch anymore and explained why he changed my meds. I didn't think anymore about it but the sweating went away. Well they messed up on my med and to get me through thanksgiving he wrote me a pres. for some of the patches again and the sweating issue started all over again so I go see him tomorrow and he's going to change it again and if I don't sweat then the fentyal patches are my problem. I will let y'all know but I do believe I found out why!! We will see. Good luck to you all

• Posted

Thanku gail85866..I will be going back to the gp again to ask about oxybutynin- I am desperate for a cure for this sweating..it is unbearable & embarrassing. Hate it. So glad u have found something that helps!😁

• Posted

thank you so so much for putting your problem on here !  everything you have suffered from I do ,i have been many a time to my doctors about this condition and they just haven't taken me seriously ...almost always put it down to menopause symptoms I am 65  ...i recently visited a new doctor that has helped me ...i picked up my prescription today Oxybutynin and have taken my first tablet today ,i am hoping it will help me as much as it has helped you ....because i have gone through HELL for the past 8 yr ,in summer i am literally wet through from morning to night , ...if i go into a warm room i am wet within minutes.and its all over my head and chest ,my hair is wet through and i can feel the sweat running over my scalp down my face and onto my neck ,i even got to the stage where I make excuses not to go to different places ..restaurants  and like you i have had to come out of shops  because it is too warm ,even when i have a bath or shower ,i sweat for at least 2 hrs after ....thankyou again Gail  i thought i was going mad because i didnt know this existed and knew no one who had this condition ,i will now keep my fingers crossed and hope Oxybutynin helps me xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.