Craving something sweet

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm worried, I'm always wanting something sweet. I eat a good diet really but go through times when I'm craving something sweet constantly and generally hungry. Arghh!!

I've had a couple of months when it went and I was ok but it's back again. Any suggestions please? I'm 57 and in reasonable health. Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It takes e days of abstaining, and then the cravings cease. However, if your body feels it's missing vitamins, it will still crave sweet... Which usually means you can get away with fruit sweetened cottage cheese, yogurt, or just a fruit medley of watermelon, grapes, apple, banana, etc. You'd be really surprised how that does enough if you tell yourself, encourage yourself, that it's sweet, good for you, and good enough. It's cognitive therapy...it's very hard at first, but it's the only thing that lasts.

My mom raised me as "food is love, I love you, stuff your face!" And she has had a lot if abuse in her past, so food is a horrible vice for her.

She convinced me it was genetics, and helped me get bariatric surgery. (Deuodenal switch.) I hate it so much...I'll never eat normal again. I have intestinal consequences if I eat sugar, carbs, fats...now I've learned to eat healthy, but I still go through bouts of cravings. I gain, then have to control myself and start over. It works, it's just very hard to have self-control!

• Posted

Hi MK,

Thanks for your comments. Looks like I'll have to be strong with myself. I have given up sugar before but the minute I have something sweet again, I'm lost. Maybe it is a vitamin thing.

Yuk!

• Posted

Hi, 

I think I have a similar problem and I am now retired. I have always been a chocoholic and tried to control it although I am always hungry.  I have arthritis and take lots of vitamins and supplements and I was told they won't work when I am constantly bombarding my system with sugar so last year I cut out the sugar (and suffered withdrawal cravings for a week or two before I got used to it) and I tried to replace it with sensible snacks. I lost 8 or 9 kilos in several months but I still have arthritis although it may have eased a bit. 

I now have one little Twix bar (or two little sugary things) each day but I am constantly hungry which causes me lots of problems everywhere I go. I eat a reasonable breakfast with some protein and toast and sometimes porridge but within 2 hours I'm really hungry again.

My constant hunger worries me.  People say I must have worms or something as I don't put on weight and eat twice as much as everyone else I know.  My family have all had type 2 diabetes and I am walking a fine line - I think I am insulin resistant but I don't know how to regulate it. It's so bad I worry about going on holiday and even at my bridge club I have to take a snack and I eat at the table (which is frowned upon) and I am still hungry and end up eating choc biscuits as well.  I think I may be hypoglycaemic and I should eat lots of nuts but I don't really like nuts and I want something substantial. 

• Posted

You could try having more wholegrains and pulses in your diet to stabilise your blood sugar levels which might lead to less cravings. As soon as you have something sweet your sugar level goes up then soon drops again so you then crave something sweet again - it's a vicious circle! Try and have more fruit to combat your cravings as a healthier option but don't eat fruit on it's own or will also make your sugar levels spike. Try having fruit with a protein such as berries with live yoghurt and honey or grapes and cheese as this will stop your sugar levels rising so rapidly. Bananas and oatcakes are a good snack too.

• Posted

Hi, 

Thanks for the advice, however I find it difficult to get actual wholegrain bread - all the bread in the supermarket is wholemeal but I do get a seed loaf or one with several grains.  I have porridge and/or toast and a poached egg and sometimes a sausage or fried breakfast with hash browns.  The problem is that I go to my bridge club and I'm hungry within the hour and it's difficult eating anything sticky (like fruit or dried fruit) at the table as I am handling the cards. I just have to take a sandwich or a pork pie cut up in pieces but it's frowned upon to eat at the tables. 

I am buying dried fruit now and cashew or pistachio nuts (as they are the only ones I like) so maybe I can have a small pork pie followed by nuts or raisins.  I try not to eat sugary things as I know it makes the hunger worse after an hour or so.

• Posted

I know what you mean about having difficulty with suitable snacks when out. I'm able to eat healthier things at home but often fall into the trap of having a chocolate snack when out to give me a boost as it's convenient and easy to eat. I've recently been told my cholesterol is too high and am trying to improve my diet. I've been trying to reduce bad fats in my diet and also cut back on sugar but since I've done this I seem to be hungry a lot too. One thing I'm trying to do is eat more pulses which I don't normally eat much and have noticed I don't seem to feel as hungry after I've eaten them - things like beans and lentils. Maybe you could try and include more of them I'm your diet so you don't feel as hungry before you go out. You could also try adding nuts to your porridge or having eggs at breakfast to boost your protein which is meant to make you feel fuller for longer. Dried fruit and nuts as a snack sounds a really good idea - maybe take some wet wipes and tissues to clean any sticky fingers! Or take a sandwich cut into small bite size pieces or something like a cereal bar which do contain sugar but also have oats for longer lasting energy. Also make sure you are drinking enough as sometimes you can think you are hungry when you are really thirsty if that makes sense. Hope you find something that's helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.