Crazy bad Gerd? Or something more serious?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Around the middle of last year i had a random onset of really bad pain in my chest, back and shoulder which the doctor very quickly and nonchalantly told me was acid reflux. I was given Omeprazole and went on my way. By this point the paid had significantly reduced, and over the next few months of taking the pills I had no further problems.

To cut a long story short, in the past 8 months or whatever I have had 3 more random episodes of very severe pain. I'm talking unable to sleep, the act of standing up and sitting causes a massive rush of pain, as does walking and pretty much any physical movement. Last time this pain lasted 4 days before subsiding, and right now I'm in day 2 of this lot. I've continued to take omeprazole as well as heartburn medicine (liquid), rennie tablets and gaviscon tablets but nothing seems to stop it once it is going.

Everyone else I know who has acid problems has told me it has never lasted so long or been so severe in them, and now I'm left wondering/worrying if it's actually something else eg: gallstones, cholecystitis etc...

If anyone could give me any suggestions, or let me know whether it's normal for acid reflux to be so severe, I'd love to know.

Cheers

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not sure if this is vital information or not, but I'll add that the pain increases every time in breath in.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi I have had acid for over 30 years and been on Esomeprazole for at least 8. Since Xmas I have had similar problems to you, really sore pain in front of sternum and when I press between breasts where the ribs have a gap the pain in really sore. I have pain that moves from side to side and have this pain most days at some point. I thought I have having a heart attack and went to A&E to be told it was GERD. since end of January have had a chest infection so that has not helped but went back again last week as my heart is racing, I also feel as if there is a lump in my throat and sometimes when I swallow food feels stuck and I need to burp to clear this, is this what you are experiencing and yes mine heart when I breath in, that is why they said GERD at A&E as heart does not hurt when you breath in. now so frightened that it is something worse that I going back again today to see my GP.
  • Posted

Craig,

I never have had reflex...that I know of because I don't know what it feels like! But the doc gave me a prescription for it. I get light pressure in the middle of the chest, sometimes it spreads out to the inner side of the breast. I have had feelings of air being trapped under the chest. Sometimes it feels like the chest muscels are having a spasum or contracting. I was on a trip in Dec and had that feeling for 4 hrs then it went away..even on the reflex meds.  I have had a cath, altra sound on my stomach, upper gi and just last month a scope down my throat. All they found was a small hernia, which they left alone. As I type this I have a pain in the middle of my upper back and the left side of my chest when I inhale deep? The only thing left to check are my lungs and I have had several chest xrays already? I don't know what else to do.

• Posted

Hi Karen sorry for hijacking this post, do you sometimes feel food going down and sometimes feel like there is a lump there, which goes when you burp? that is what is freaking me out in case it is oesophogeul cancer.
    • Posted

No, I have no problem with food. Its more like a tighening of the chest muscels. Its strange, I can have discomfort smack dab in the middle of the chest and nothing else or just the tighening of the muscels. Get a scope that way they can rule out any problem with the esophagus/stomach. That will help ease your mind about cancer, thats one of the reason why I did it. easy test!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.