Crazy discovery! Acid blocker rebound and soda pop cure.

Posted , 6 users are following.

This is a crazy sounding discovery and I'm going to share it with you.  I have suffered from the feeling of too much acid in my stomach for many years.  I eventually started taking Nexium acid blocker and I felt great.  I could eat anything.  But, then comes the side effects, which I won't list here.  But, I have some relatives who drink soda pop like there is no tommorrow.  Yes, they do have weight issues.  But, they have no digestive problems.  They can eat all day long and right before bed, and get up at night and eat some more.  No digestive issues.  So, I researched the relation of soda pop and digestive problems.  And, I found a huge relationship.  I actually found a medical study.   People who drink soda pop, generally have low stomach acid levels.  Yes, they do say that eventually that will cause a problem with nutritional deficiencies.  However, many of us are trying to get off of our prescription acid blockers, and suffer acid rebound.  I have recently started using soda pop as medicine.  If I feel like I'm getting the burning sensation, a drink of pop stops it.  If I feel like my meal is sitting in my stomach too long, I drink some pop and my stomach wakes up and empties.  I  am using diet Coke as my medicine.  I forgot to take my Nexium yesterday but I feel okay.  I also know that soda pop is generally bad for health.  But, it may help you get off your acid blocker and if not abused, it may be the missing piece of the puzzle.  I would like to hear if you want to try this and if it helps.  John

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i have been doing it for years i use ginger ale small glass relieves the bloat and breaks the acid . 

if you think about it its just common sense , liver salts work better if fizzy so why not just drink some fizzy soda .small amounts to aid the discomfort should be fine ,its got to be saffer then meds ,

• Posted

Thanks for your comment:  I also did this, unknowingly.  After lunch at work I would have a diet Coke and felt better but I did not know why.  It is intersting that the acidity in soda pop triggers the stomach to make less acid.  I also use olive oil and balsamic vinagar as a salad dressing.  That will also trigger the stomach to make less acid.
    • Posted

well ginger aids digestion so its a good one ,and it dosent of yet have aspartame in dont touch diet drinks for that reaason . ordinary pepsi works for me to and also aids nausea to 
    • Posted

I used to grate up ginger root and make an infusion of it. I stopped when I was on Warfarin and got out of the habit of doing it. I must go back to it.
  • Posted

Well, it's the sugar aspect in the soda pop that worries me.  What if you use one of those soda pop machines that came on the market, make your own without the sugar?
    • Posted

not sure that small amount of sugar would do any harm well not as much as aspartame . i dont no about the pop machines i thought they used a syrup not sure . i only have a small glass if i have a problem dont drink much myself .
    • Posted

Apparently, in the case study, it was the pH level of soda that triggered the stomach to produce less acid. The PH is approximately 2.5 in most manufactured brands.  Its not the carbonation or the sweetner.  If you make your own, you would need to test the PH and make sure it is low enough.  Also, I use pop in moderation, only after a meal.
  • Posted

Hi john, have you ever considered that perhaps you actually have low stomach acid instead of too much stomach acid. I say this because it is a common misconception that patients with heartburn, reflux etc issues have too much stomach acid when in fact it is low starch acid. So your theory about drinking soda helping your symptoms makes sense as the ph of soda is acidic so it signals the LES valve to close so you stop the heartburn and reflux. Just a thought
    • Posted

Oops sorry I meant stomach not starch. Also you say your food sometimes sits in your stomach. That sounds like classic low stomach acid to me.
    • Posted

Hi anastasia:  I agree that the symptoms can be similar.  I did take a hydicloric acid tablet a few years ago to make sure.  I got much worse burning.  Then I started taking Nexium and got immediate relief.  Usually, a person can not feel acid in the stomach as it is protected.  It is when the LES gets damaged that a person can feel the acid.  I stopped taking a nasal medication that I think was making my LES dilated.   Also, I only use Nexium aprox once per week now.  Too many people are hooked on acid blockers today.  John
    • Posted

Hey john thanks for the reply. Is the burning in your stomach or it is higher up i.e. Heartburn? I ask because I used to get some burning too and then found out I had stomach erosions. I've also experienced heartburn too which is a very different feeling altogether. All this and yet I have low stomach acid. I also had a test which showed that I had low stomach acid and the doctors didn't know what else to do other than keep

Trying to give me acid blockers which will only continue to make the issue worse. So now I have healed my stomach erosions by drinking cabbage juice, taking aloe vera juice, and l-glutamine. All help to heal. Now I am addressing my low stomach acid with betain hcl and pepsin. So far working well. The body sometimes just needs a little help getting back into balance but I believe that drugs are masking the problem and not getting to the root cause so people stay sick and the pharmaceutical companies just keep getting richer

• Posted

Usually, it is LES pain.  Although I occationally get lower stomach burning.  I will be adding cabbage juice to my daily regimine soon.  I like to try one thing at a time.  I am currently trying lots of probiotics.  I am also trying Rejuvilac, a probiotic you can make at home.  I have a recipe on my other discussion.
    • Posted

Oh that's fantastic john - good luck with it all. Cabbage juice is a miracle and works so quickly too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.