Crazy elevated liver enzymes, lactic acid etc.

Posted , 4 users are following.

So this is alot, but I'll make it short. My father (56) was admitted to the hospital. He's been very fatique, random passing out, unable to have 1 single beer without becoming completely wasted (he is otherwise a VERY heavy drinker), severe loss of appetite etc. Labs drawn, both liver enzymes highly elevated..AST was 260, ALT was 129, total bilirubin high at 1.2, alk phosphatase 127, albumin low 3.1, lactic acid level high at 4.2 then dropped to 3.0...it's clear he has liver damage. Doctors are working on managing his BP right now though (190/120) and they put him on an..IV detox for his kidneys and liver?? Rechecking liver panel in the am after his detox. Has anyone heard of this..if so, is that effective, I just need some advice on what to expect since the doctors seem to skip around the entire topic..also my father has been having EXTREME fatique, no appetite,

Jaundice, weakness..etc .any advice appreciated..the hospital he's at refuses to take control over his results, they say they will when they get to it.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Alk phos 127 isn't high, it's elevated but in the normal range. The others are indeed crazy high though. As for what to expect, from what I've read probably just more of the same but worse... untill the jaundice gets really bad, then expect bad itching in the hands and feet that is untreatable.

• Posted

Jaundice (where down to heavy alcohol consumption) is down to the liver not functioning properly. Weakness/fatigue is again down to the liver. It provides the energy we use, when it is not functioning properly, it cannot provide the energy we need or build up energy stores.

If he can't even drink one beer, it is because his liver cannot process it. As far as I am aware, there is no such thing as an IV detox. What they will be doing, is giving him much needed vitamins by IV and possibly fluid.

He needs an abdominal scan to see the state of his liver, which you cannot determine from blood tests.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.