Crazy HS flare ups during menstrual cycle

Posted , 3 users are following.

Do any other of you ladies experience HS flare ups during or around your menstrual cycle? I do and they are terrible. I get lumps on my bikini line and in between my butt cheeks. I keep it dry as possible down there. I only use hypoallergenic soaps and no fragernces. I have HS in the groin it just gets worse with my menstrual cycle. If you have tips or advice please share. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes. My dermatologist said it's because your immune system changes during your cycle and HS is auto-inflamatory. I stay in remission as long as I don't eat the foods I'm sensitive to which are nightshades, coconut and nuts. Everyone can have different foods sensitivities but nightshades are a big one for people with auto immune / inflammatory issues due to these vegetables having a type of natural pesticide. (That's my non-scientific explanation! You can research the scientific language if you want.) I was stage 3 HS for 10 years and had tried EVERYTHING else! Pills, creams, shots, surgeries, laser hair removal... I was poisoning myself with certain foods!

My dermatologist couldn't believe I got better. She researched it and is now telling her other HS patients! I am very strict with my diet.

I also had groin only HS and last year I rode a 17 mile bike trail! I could have never done that before cutting out my food sensitivities!

You can do an elimination diet to find your sensitivities. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you! Can you please tell me how you were not over whelmed by the change in diet. I'm willing to try it, but i get so frustrated about what i can eat or what i can't have anymore and end up giving up.

• Posted

I was more overwhelmed with my pain and suffering from eating those foods. I couldn't be the person I wanted to be. I just decided that I'd had enough and I was going to control this! The day I cut out nightshades, I was having the worst flares ever. When they started going down THAT DAY, I knew this was the miracle I'd been searching for! It's hard, don't get me wrong but it's worth it!

My husband sells potato chip too.... life is funny sometimes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.