Crazy morning tiredness, can't get out of bed

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey Everyone

I've been on 20mg Escitalopram for about 5 weeks having ramped up gradually from 5. I am definitely feeling better, but I'm struggling enormously with tiredness in the morning. I feel extremely heavy and exhausted and it's almost impossible to get out of bed. I've delayed meetings and been late for work too many times. I swear to myself every evening that tomorrow will be different but I just can't do it. I take my pill before bed if that makes any difference. I'm also more tired during the day and need more coffee to get through, but once i'm up this is generally bearable.

Any advice other than to talk to my doc? Thanks!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there 

Same here with the tiredness but it tends to go away eventually . 

I am on 30 mg so I feel what you are saying . I am on week 7 and still feel tired . But less each week ! 

Patience !!!!

F x

• Posted

Me too! 6 weeks in, can't get out of bed and then feel sleepy during the day. The worst was when I drunk some alcohol the night before, not sure though if it's related. I have an impression it is getting better, but is driving me crazy and doesn;t help with depression at all. 

hugs to both of you!!!

• Posted

I wonder if it would help if you took your pill in the morning instead, maybe an hour or two after you get up?

?I haven't had tiredness as a side effect yet (I wish I would; it would help the insomnia;-), but I find it hard to jump out of bed due to an increase of dread and anxiety in the mornings.

?Hang in there:-). It should get better each week.

• Posted

Hi there,

I cut my pill in half. Take half before bed and half in the morning. It seems to help. 

• Posted

Guys thank you so much for all your thoughtful responses - it is at least nice to know that I'm not alone experiencing these effects! Regarding alcohol, I actually couldn't find a correlation despite hoping that not drinking the night before would make a difference. Regarding half a pill at night and another half in the morning, that's an awesome idea and I'll try it from tonight!

Thanks again smile

• Posted

Halving the pill really helped me. I hope it does you too!
  • Posted

Just be patient, after 6-8 week, you will notice the difference for better, I take my medication in the morning, so I can sleep at night, don’t lose hope it works..🙂

• Posted

Hi there,

Glad to see your post as this has been the worst side effect for me. I am on 10mg, have been for just over three weeks and started on 5mg for four days, taken in the morning.

I wake up feeling fairly anxious still but just have no motivation to get up and get on with my day. I will push it to the last minute and some days I just stay in bed and feel terribly guilty and unproductive. I can barely get up to eat, have to force myself. Other side effects I am experiencing are sweating, especially in bed, lack of appetite and dizziness - prob because of low blood sugar from not being able to eat. I am still experiencing fairly bad morning anxiety. If I can get myself up and going I am usually pretty good in the afternoon and evening with increased appetite.

I too am hoping I am not alone in these symptoms, they are making me feel isolated and depressed.

I took escitalopram last year and I recall it took a good couple of months for me to feel great but I cannot remember this terrible lack of motivation and lethargy in the morning. It’s the worst.

Like you I am the same before I go to sleep, making plans and telling myself it’ll be better but it isn’t. I am hoping that the next couple of weeks show a great improvement as I am neglecting my business and my life feels like it’s on hold.

Anyway hang in there and keep posting.

• Edited

Hello,

I know this is an older discussion but for me the mornings are the worst! I find it extremely difficult to get up and out of bed since taking this medication. I take my dosage in the morning and STILL I feel lethargic and unmotivated to start my day. When I wasn't on Escitalopram 10mg I was able to get up and function (mostly)! I'm pleased to know someone else experiences this! I should also say I've been on this medication and dosage for just over a year and it hasn't improved.

I was thinking I would speak to my Doctor.

Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.