Crazy with worry

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Can anyone let me know if they suffer unbearable pain in upper back, mostly between shoulder blades from reflux, sometimes it's mid back as well, I've had it for past 7 weeks , also nausea and loose bowel, the pain in my back is driving me to distraction, pls can anyone else identify with this.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey there Kate 😃

Yes indeed, reflux/esophagus issues have caused pain in my upper back. Between my shoulder blades has, at times, be especially noticeable. My GI doctor told me this is referred pain due to inflammation in the esophagus. There are many nerves around the center of the chest where the esophagus is and that is why reflux can cause pain to be revered to other parts of the upper body.

For myself, I have had aches and pains in my ribs, my upper back, my sternum and chest, and even the sides of my neck. So yes, I would not be overly alarmed at this symptom. Have you been diagnosed with reflux in the past? Is this an ongoing issue and the back pain is a new symptom? Also, have the bowel issues coincided with the back pain for the last 7 weeks?

Cheers!

• Posted

Thank you for your response I too have the same symptoms you just described and am a nervouse wreck i really appreciate you for this post I have an appt wed to see if I can get a new form of treatment

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying, yes I was diagnosed with reflux about 3 years ago, have been on various PPI tablets, got worried about being on then long term so about 10 months ago changed to just ranitidine and was doing great, no symptoms at all, couldn't believe my luck.then out of nowhere 7 weeks ago was awoken with awful colic pain in left ribs, bowel started to go to bad diarhea, weakness, generally feeling awful, but worst of all is the back pain,it's excrutiating, sometimes it's under ribs m o stay left, nausea on and off. Have had similar pain in past but never so severe, strange thing is I've no burning up my chest like before, going mad worrying about cancer,

• Posted

When you say you are worried about cancer, I assume you are meaning esophageal cancer? If so, your symptoms are not at all typical of esophageal cancer. Esophageal cancer caused by years and years and years of untreated reflux most often presents as trouble swallowing and food regurgitation.

The other symptoms are merely symptoms of reflux, such as heartburn, chronic cough, chronic throat clearing, etc. Again, these symptoms merely suggest that reflux is present, not even that reflux has caused cancer. That VAST majority of people who suffer from reflux will never develop esophageal cancer, and even those who do usually allow their reflux to go untreated for years.

That being said, I would see your doctor about the pain you described as "excrutiating." This may not be related to reflux at all, though it is possible to feel a fair amount of pain under your left ribs from something like a hiatal hernia, which often causes/exacerbates reflux.

How were you originally diagnosed with relfux disease? Was their an endoscopy done? Did they find a hiatal hernia?

Cheers 😃

• Posted

Hey there 😃

I do understand being worried about something serious. Our symptoms speak to reflux, not cancer. Yes, untreated chronic reflux can lead to cancer in extremely rare circumstances. The numbers are something like 10-15% of people with chronic reflux develop BE, the pre-cancerous change in the lining of the esophagus that can possibly become cancer. Of those people with BE, less that 1% will actually develop full blown esophageal cancer. And this is far less likely to happen if you are being treated. Sooooo ... seeing your doctor is the best thing is Wednesday is right around the corner. Hang in there!

Cheers 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.