creams

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been supplied dermovate cream and trimovate cream and both seem to increase the discomfort has any one else had this esperience

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was prescribed Eumovate ointment and have had no reaction, but I try not to use this cream very often (as originally told by Doctor) so I use Aqueous cream more than anything.

Some tips that I have found have worked really well in controlling mine.

The Aqueous cream: I wash with it and I also apply it as a cream. Its very soothing and I tend to use this more than the Eumovate. I no longer use biological wash powder or softener on my underwear and swim wear, and have stopped using bubble bath (I wash in the Aqueous cream). Its a bit messy in the water but it leaves your skin feeling lovely and soft.

I still wash my hair in the shower and condition it as usual and this has been ok me. I apply a good dolop of the Aqueous cream before I shower and wash my hair. Wen I have finished, I give the area a quick blast to clean off the cream with the shower head. I think the layer of cream somehow provides a barrier for the shampoo and conditioner.

After sex, I also apply a small amount of the aqueous cream to a cotton pad and gently clean the area, and I don't wash it off. I leave is on as a moisturiser.

I have also for the first time in ages found a sanitary pad that doesn't cause me any discomfort (ALways). Before I have had to use tampons all the time which is ok but on the odd occasions I need to use both.

Hope these tips help.

Many people have this condition, and possibly like me, were embarrassed at first, but I have found that we need to share our views and methods of keeping the condition under control.

I read an earlier blog and the person was disheartened at the replies the site gets, so if you read this, then please post a reply. Somebody somewhere may have the answer to all our prayers and there is no point in keeping it to oneself.

Thanks and don't forget to reply.

Ang x

• Posted

Sometimes patients are sensitive to the preservatives in creams. Dermovate comes in an ointment as well and the medical profession say that ointments are less likely to cause reactions. If your creams and treatments are not working, things like KY jelly will not do the same job as a good ointment prescribed for LS as they are sexual lubricants and not treatments for LS. When your treatment fails, it is always best to tell your doctor and ask for your treatment to be reviewed. I do hope this helps, you can always speak to me at the helpline, the number is on the National Lichen Sclerosus Website at www.lichensclerosus.org
  • Posted

[quote:bc136210d6=\"Ange\"]I was prescribed Eumovate ointment and have had no reaction, but I try not to use this cream very often (as originally told by Doctor) so I use Aqueous cream more than anything.

Some tips that I have found have worked really well in controlling mine.

The Aqueous cream: I wash with it and I also apply it as a cream. Its very soothing and I tend to use this more than the Eumovate. I no longer use biological wash powder or softener on my underwear and swim wear, and have stopped using bubble bath (I wash in the Aqueous cream). Its a bit messy in the water but it leaves your skin feeling lovely and soft.

I still wash my hair in the shower and condition it as usual and this has been ok me. I apply a good dolop of the Aqueous cream before I shower and wash my hair. Wen I have finished, I give the area a quick blast to clean off the cream with the shower head. I think the layer of cream somehow provides a barrier for the shampoo and conditioner.

After sex, I also apply a small amount of the aqueous cream to a cotton pad and gently clean the area, and I don't wash it off. I leave is on as a moisturiser.

I have also for the first time in ages found a sanitary pad that doesn't cause me any discomfort (ALways). Before I have had to use tampons all the time which is ok but on the odd occasions I need to use both.

Hope these tips help.

Many people have this condition, and possibly like me, were embarrassed at first, but I have found that we need to share our views and methods of keeping the condition under control.

I read an earlier blog and the person was disheartened at the replies the site gets, so if you read this, then please post a reply. Somebody somewhere may have the answer to all our prayers and there is no point in keeping it to oneself.

Thanks and don't forget to reply.

Ang x[/quote:bc136210d6][b:bc136210d6][i:bc136210d6][/i:bc136210d6][/b:bc136210d6]

• Posted

Hi Ang/All LS sufferers it could be me that wrote what you have Ang.Like you I am relying mostly one aqueous and use it as you do.I was suffering for nearly a year b4 I was diagnosed with LS thought I was going mad.My gyne.put me on betnovate 4 4 weeks, then dermovate to be used twice a wk and to use aqueous cream to cleanse with and this does seem to be working for me fingers crossed that is.I have only just found this site and was amazed at what I have read about other sufferers of this.I was told by my gyne.that because I was on the change and my oestrogen levels were dropping my nether regeions were beoming conciderably dryer so my natural lubrications/protection there was not very good anymore.I only hope some day very soon someone will discover a complete cure for this at times very upsetting thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Posted

Hi, I was prescribed Eumovate initially but it did nothing. Then I was prescribed Dermovate which calmed the pain down but certainly has not cleared the condition. It still looks awful. I have now been prescribed Testosterone gel but am very unhappy about using a product that states on the information leaflet \"not to be used by women\". This is due to possible side effects of growing male-like features. I would rather suffer from the consequences of this terrible skin irritation than end up looking like a man! Does anyone disagree with this statement? Has anyone used Testosterone gel yet have retained their feminine features?

Thanks for your replies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.