Creams for Lichen

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm going through the menopause and I also have mild to moderate Lichen Sclerosus, which means my vagina feels quite dry. Any suggestions on whats the best product to use to wash myself down there when in the shower, as I dont want to irritate anything more, also I have been using lubricating gel during the day, but maybe there is something better which would be good for both problems, any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm looking for something mild to put on after showering...thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Guppy,

I've had LS for some years now, am approaching the menopause myself so know how you feel. My Dermotologist suggested Hydromol cream for washing but it can also be used as a general moisturiser, she also prescribed me Vagifem in a low dose which seems to help with the dryness inside.  I have Hydromol on repeat prescription from my Doctor along with Clobestol ointment which I use twice a week unless I have a flare up then I use it before bed every night for a couple of weeks until things settle down. You should avoid any kind of soaps or shower gels, they are definitely a no no for LS. Hope this helps and good luck.

Hazel

• Posted

I am well past menapause age but have constant vaginal dryness I use twice weekly a hormone cream inserting it into the vagina  

I use only Double base gel for washing below 

these are reccomend by my Gyneocologist  who I have to attend for a collapsed bladder nothing to do with LS 

I never wear knickers I always wear skirts 

I also take  a pill called Omega 7 with buckthorn oil this helps dryness all around and helps vaginal dryness again info frommy Gyneo I have been taking these capsules for about two months now and feel more moist 

I have been using the Double base gel and find it excellent 

I also after urinating wipe  a small amount on a toilet tissue the Double base gel and find this gives comfort 

hope one of this in helpful

i am inUk 

i get the double base gel nd hormone cream on prescription 

the Omega 7 I purchase online 

JanetteJanette

• Posted

Hi Guppy,

I've had LS for some years now, am approaching the menopause myself so know how you feel. My Dermotologist suggested Hydromol cream for washing but it can also be used as a general moisturiser, she also prescribed me Vagifem in a low dose which seems to help with the dryness inside.  I have Hydromol on repeat prescription from my Doctor along with Clobestol ointment which I use twice a week unless I have a flare up then I use it before bed every night for a couple of weeks until things settle down. You should avoid any kind of soaps or shower gels, they are definitely a no no for LS. Hope this helps and good luck.

Hazel

• Posted

Sorry for posting same reply twice... Oops,

forgot to mention the Vagifem is a small pessary which you insert internally.

• Posted

Hi Guppy,

I use Epaderm to wash and moisturise.  It is a very thick emollient which when mixed with water acts like a soap but can be used as it is as a moisturiser.  You can also use it to wash the area after a pee when you can't get to a basin or bidet.  The thing is to keep the area urine free as that causes flare ups.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Guppy,

I have used Lippu Oil (not ointment) which is in a coconut oil base. I am a professional therapist and have had LS for a few months. I am in the process of doing all I can to support my Immune system, bit using the oil and Charaka soap, leaves me with no symptoms. If I stop using them the symptoms return, but that is because the cause is to do with my Immune system being compromised due to premenopausal changes. Good luck. Blessings, Jane.

• Posted

Thank you all very much  I will definitely try these creams and the oil, I also have Ulcerative Colitis, so my immune system is definitely compromised!!
  • Posted

What has helped me is a good cold pressed organic coconut oil  I get from costco they have the best price...Nutiva  it is a natural anti- biotic , but any organic cold pressed will work .use every time I use the bath room ...I wipe  after then put on again only need  litle....I  also do a sitz bath in the evening twice a week with sage that I grow in my yard....the oil does not stain the underwear and washes right out in the wash ..I .hate the steroids...only used them in the  begining    or if I have a bad break out ... have not had one in a long time ...Oh and I eat as much coconut and drink a good 100% cocnut water no sugar added  and milk....that come in the can...I have been living with this not for 5 years  

.goog luck

• Posted

For got to say that I use a Dr Bronner's magic soaps... very awesome... have not had any trouble using it .... made from many different organic oils ....never felt clean befor with out a using soap 
  • Posted

Hello all I am so sore today and for a couple of days ,I use Deprabase  and steroid cream don't inch but so sore it's getting me down now and I am being tested for Lupas  as I only got this after a bowel and bladder op ,can any one tell me if it's todo with being anaemic or what causes this as my surgeon said he has no idea why I got it and it's a ritchal just going to the loo !!! I need infoe as I get no answers as GP !!!
    • Posted

Hi Carol,  So sorry you are having a bad time.  I hope you have things under control by now.  I find that the only thing that calms me is Dermovate Ointment (Clobetasol Proprionate 0.05%) used regularly during flare ups and reducing frequency to twice a week when calm.  Using Epaderm to wash and moisturise after every pee.  If I can't wash I do use extra sensitive baby wipes but pat dry with toilet paper and remoisturise after as dampness can aggravate things. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.