creatine kinase

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi is it Creatine Kinase that gives us all muscle aches ,if so how do we reduce the Kinase  , ?idea

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It isnt strictly accurate to say that the muscle aches caused by taking statins are only as a result of elevated CK per se. Clinically, creatine kinase is assayed in blood tests as a marker of damage of CK-rich tissue such as in myocardial infarction (heart attack), rhabdomyolysis (severe muscle breakdown), muscular dystrophy, autoimmune myositides, and acute kidney injury.  Certain drugs such as cholesterol lowering drugs (statins) can damage muscle and elevate CPK. Other causes are alcohol, viruses, hereditary conditions. Finally CPK can be elevated in certain autoimmune diseases that cause inflammation in the muscle such as polymyositis or dermatomyositis.  Thus, it may be that a person taking statins has elevated creatine kinase, which in turn could be responsible for their muscle aches but there are certainly other factors at play.   If you have severe side effects from statin use and are concerned that it may have raised your CK levels, ask your doctor to run some tests.
    • Posted

Thanks Loxie 

but when i go on the yellow card scheme ,uk, it is by far the most that people have   . atorvastatin statin is the worst musculoskeletal & connective tissue problems along with simvastatin another one , i was just looking how to repair my muscles , even with the leaflet you get with the drugs it says things like ,could,might, possible ,cause muscle problems,(It Should say Definitely not could ,might, possible ) not easy to find how to repair Creatine Kinase . thanks Loxie   

• Posted

Hi loxie ,

after reading your comments i decided to go through my meds ,for high blood pressure , AMLODIPINE , that's a big problem never mind Simvastatin .wonder if people are just given A Statin and nothing else , is this the senario at the GP ,(see you again in three months see if cholesterol has came down) patient not been taking the statin ,because of muscle aches ,(ermm we will have to try bit more tablets see if they help ) calcium channel blocker,(any of the prils fosinopril good one) water tablet benzo.oh and Amlodipine  plus low dose aspirin . the way GP explains it  if you don't take them Stroke heart attack what is better bit of ache & pain or death , from then on fear, stress , so what caused the stress & fear   taking the pills ,  just my interpretation of what happens ( but GP might be right ) but he also could be getting bonus from pushing the tablets , thanks Loxie 

• Posted

Hi Anthony. I wasnt saying that it isnt statins that cause the muscle damage - they most definitely do - I am living testimony to the devastating effects of such toxic poison - I took simvastatin for just a short while and have suffered a number of years since as a result.  Just saying it is necessarily only related to CK levels although that can be an issue but should not be looked at in isolation.  I agree with you completely about how the side effects to muscles, liver damage etc are minimised and included in the small print along with a hundred other possible effects that may or may not happen.  Very sneaky and a clever cop out.
    • Posted

sorry typo - should read '...it ISNT necessarily only related to......' fingers too quick for brain (another annoying side effect of statins - brain fog.

• Posted

You hit the nail on the head Anthony.  My partner was on statins, BP meds, water tablet, anti inflamms and omeprazole stomach protector.  His cholesterol level was low and his BP manageable levels but everything else about his health was going crazy, including blood sugar levels leading towards type 2 diabetes so was put on metformin also!.  After months of argument with the GP, various changes of meds and then his BP rocketing, he decided to take his own steps to resolve.  He ditched the statins, ditched the metformin, reduced the BP meds and only takes anti inflamms if absolutely necessary.  His glucose levels dropped immediately, his aches and pains lessened and his memory and concentration improved significantly.  The latter was a real issue as he works in a secure environment with individuals sectioned with challenging behaviour (ie unstable and violent) and a lapse of concentration could put his life at risk.  His BP did start to rise and after another couple of months of changes of meds and erratic readings, he's worked out what levels of meds work best with the least side effects.  He's now on just two meds rather than half a dozen.........ridiculous situation isnt it.  His elderly mother is now on about 20 tablets a day, most of which are just to counterract the adverse reactions of the one or two initial meds.  We are definitely significantly over medicated as a nation - it's the EASY route for GP's - in and out of their office in the few minutes it takes to shove yet another prescription in our painful hands.  

• Posted

Hi Loxie, 

Hydroxy Methyl Butyrate , after just meeting with an old friend not seen for years , now a bodybuilder(not me) told him about muscle waste , Quick answer from him Stay off Sulfide rich foods & take HM butyrate tabs ,and off he went with nice to see you look after yourself    , Not tried yet , but at least as given me ideas who knows .lol

• Posted

I'll be interested to know if HMB helps - I thought it was only taken by those wanting to avoid muscle damage during intense exercise/training but it's certainly got its possibilities.  Hydrogen Sulfide rich foods are on the other hand considered 'healthy' - ie good quality dairy (not heat treated or skimmed) and garlic for example.   It's stated that hydrogen sulfide performs a useful role in some of the more important functions of the body such as blood pressure, body temperature and cardiac function. The gas acts as a smooth-muscle relaxant , and apparently H2S levels have been shown to be severely decreased in the brains of Alzheimer's disease patients. It is also known to be very effective in protecting the heart from certain types of cardiovascular disorders.  I think your body builder friend probably excludes it from his diet to help harden muscle tone but I dont think avoiding it will help repair the damage statins have caused.  Co-enzyme Q10 would probably be a better bet.

• Posted

hi loxie,

I typed in ,Do statin's create Hydrogen sulfide , Yep

Does Hydrogen Sulfide cause health problems ,Yep

when i read bit more the problems are very similar to taking statins, 

as if i have been exposed to hydrogen sulfide gas , wonder what the cure is to people who is affected by   Hydrogen Sulfide Gas (and statin's) problems , problems, as Sherlock Holmes says the game is afoot watson , more studying is required.lol 

• Posted

laughing @ the Sherlock Holmes reference. It's all a minefield isnt it - I'm sick to death of all the contradictory information we're given - on food, various meds, which substances are harmful/healthful etc etc.  We're supposed to be able to rely upon those that have spent years studying and researching (ie our doctors) but we cant.  I've lost all trust in the GP system in the UK, its such a lottery.

• Posted

I had never heard of it, so I took a quick look online.  It's apparently made from shellfish so it's not for me, as I'm a vegetarian.  It seems to be mainly used as a fungicide in commercial applications but also as an antibacterial in bandages to stop bleeding and prevent infection etc.  Cant find anything to say it would help with muscle strengthening or repair however.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.