Creatinine increase after starting diuretic

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I read that occasionally creatinine levels can increase moderately following starting a diuretic for bp control. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi David,

There are lots of medications that affect your creatinine levels like diuretics and bp meds, there are many more of course but they can affect it yes.

• Posted

Thank you Helen. This is all a learning experience for me. My GP has not been very good with imparting information, other than telling me to avoid NSAIDS. 
    • Posted

Hello, 

Oh dear this is not good to here, sadly GP's are only general doctors and often don't have the knowledge to tell you the information that you need.  Like I mentioned lots of meds can affect your levels I suppose it is trial and error and also regular blood tests to keep an eye on things.  What stage are you at in your journey? Are you seeing an nephrologist as yet? sorry for all the questions it helps when chatting if I know a bit more.  I would avoid salt, especially low salt and also ready meals etc.  I would not change any other part of your diet unless you are told to do so as a result of blood tests.  The reason for this is your potassium and phosphate levels are in normal range and you changee your diet to reduce these levels the affect of lowering them can be as dangerous as them being too high. It is a massive learning curve, having to take in the information but also understand the results and what they mean for you.  My team joke that I am as qualified as them lol (Of course I am not) I have just been through the whole process, so you learan things along the way off the doctors but more importantly off other people who have actually been through.  There are lots of people at lots of different stages on here, all of whom have valuable information to share from thier own experience so it is a really good place to visit and ask questions and get things off your chest.  I have recognised that what you are told will happen is very different from what happens and how you feel.  I am in negotiations with my unit at the moment as they have asked me to do group discussions with people pre dialysis and pre transplant, work with their social worker to help with completing benefit forms (this is my job) and give general advice (not medical) however they seem to think I would be fine with this.  I may also set up a facebook page so people can share experiences on there. smile

• Posted

Hello Hellen. I had creatinine of 1.13, which gives an eGFR of 66, but had high BP. My doctor put me in a diuretic for control. I started having severe cramps, he checked my blood work, creatinine of 1.79 and BUN of 25. He stopped the med, waited a week and rechecked. Creatinine was 1.27 so he reinstated the med every other day checked again a week. Creatinine was 1.26 so he said keep taking the med every other day. A year later my creatinine is 1.35, everything else in normal range. He says I have Stage 3a CKD. No I have not seen a nephrologist.
    • Posted

Hi david, last summer I took metoprolol (not a diuretic, actually it is a beta blocker) to lower my BP. However, it caused extreme swings in BP (too low + too high) and this caused my creatinine to rise and eGRF to decline significanly. I switched back to Bystolic which is a more expensive, less side effects beta blocker and my kidney functions recovered. Hank

• Posted

Helen, do you think a consult with a nephrologist is needed?

Dave

• Posted

Actually, my doctor said that diuretic is not good for kidney disease. Hank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.