Creatinine increase with Lisinopril 20 hectare 12.5

Posted , 4 users are following.

After taking Lisinopril with hctz fo about 4 years my creatinine started to go up after using it for 2 years. My doctor told me to drink lots of water & I was retested & decreased it to 1.1, but it went up again to 1.20 & my gfr decreased to 45% & I also had anemia. I was then referred to a nephrologist for stage 3a CKD. Before my appt with the nephrologist I drank excessive liquids which included nettle tea,  camimile tea, water with cranberry juice & water with baking soda. I did not eat tomato’s, potato’s, spinach, brocioli, nuts, seeds, bananas, beans, orange juice, melons, avocados & milk products & focused on a diet friendly kidney diet of fish, chicken, small portion of white rice, red peppers, onions, cabbage, watercress, all the berries in my no sugar,  salt, or sugar, cereal & green salads & an iron pill to increase my red blood cells. My next lab showed that I decreased my creatinine to 0.89 & gfr shot up to 65, no anemia, however, my sodium went down to 25. At my nephrologist appt I was shocked when he told me that I did not have CKD. He said it was the diuretic causing my creatinine level increase & that my excessive amount of liquids caused my decrease in sodium. He immediately took me off the diuretic & has me on lisinopril 20 without hctz. I was told not to drink as much water & omit the water & bicarbonate soda. I have to have my creatinine & sodium checked in 1 month. This journey has been unbelievable & stressful. Hoping my next lab work will show everything back to normal once again. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Danilda,

That's an incredible set of lab results! Thanks for sharing with us.

I'm due for labs in 3 more weeks as well. Do I can relate to the stress that mounts as the labs get closer. It's definitely quite the roller coaster ride emotionally.

Nothing but good thoughts for you as you wait this out.

Marj

• Posted

Thanks for your good thoughts. I'm still stressed because I have to undergo another lab work to see if my creatinine level goes down without so much water. I'm still keeping up with the nettle & camomile tea, the water with cranberry juice lots of greens and berries. I will continue fish and chicken as Im afraid of eating meat. I also do not drink alcohol and take alpha lipoid acid and chitosan as supplements for my kidneys. I'll keep you informed of my progress when I have my lab tests performed again. For anyone who is going through this the best think you can do is go to the nephrologist as soon as possible as he/she can really tell you what is going on. I thought I had kidney disease for 2 years and it was scary. 

• Posted

I also follow a renal friendly diet strictly. And I drink 70 fluid oz of water daily. My nephrologist has told me to drink more water as needed as our temperatures elevate this summer. (I live in the Midwest of the United States where our temperatures often elevate to 95-100 degrees Fahrenheit.

I hadn't thought about drinking tea though. I'll check with my nephrologist yo see if I can safely do that. I've got quite s few dietary restrictions I have to adhere to at this point. My renal function has just improved from Stage V to Stage IV so I don't want to do anything that would cause a loss of this improvement.

Marj

• Posted

Wow!  Danilo’s, thst’s quite a roller coaster you’ve been on and all due to the side effects of a medication.  Just proves how important regular monitoring is.  I was started on a new BP pill last night and I made sure not to leave the doctor without a blood test form in my hand - have learnt my lesson having experienced too many nasty side effects  from previous BP pills, not to mention being hospitalised with C.Diff caused be a GP over-prescribing Cefalexin for a UTI.  I do hope your creatinine and eGFR will now remain at normal levels.
  • Posted

Ironic.  I was just reading an article on the web yesterday about Lisinopril and CKD.  It was a study of patients.  They gave one group amlodipine and another Lisinopril.  The group on Lisinopril saw a reduction of their eGFR, while those on amlodipine showed a much smaller reduction.  I had similar experience with HCTZ.  It made all my "kidney levels" much worse.  When he stopped my hctz, the Lisinopril did not handle the blood pressure.  I had to have both Lisinopril (20mg two times a day) plus amlodipine.  I am quite surprised they tell you not to drink much water.  All my doctors yell at me constantly to drink, drink, drink.  The next checkup will be interesting for you.  Let us know the results.  It sounds like things are going well for you.

• Posted

My nephrologist told me to drink less water because my sodium level was extremely low from all the liquids and this can also cause problems. I have to have lab tests again in 3 weeks & I hope that the creatinine will level out without the hctzin my system. I'll keep everyone updated. 

• Posted

I had a simple lab problem drinking too much water about 5 years ago; my sodium was too low too. The nephrologist I was seeing st the time essentially over corrected that issue and had me on fluid restrictions that were too little water and a diuretic medication in response. So I then spent the next 4 years extremely dehydrated with very liw blood pressure and sudden severely plummeting blood pressure. I finally tried a different nephrologist last August.

My new nephrologist pulled me off the diuretic and the other blood pressure medication I had been put on. Thankfully my blood pressure has elevated and is in good range now. I'm staying appropriately hydrated. And there has been improvement in my renal function.

So this hydration thing can be tricky. Some of us are told to drink more water; our kidneys need that. Others are told just the opposite because our kidneys overload if we drink too much fluid. Our treatment plans have to be indicidualized🐶

Anyway, please do let us know how everything goes for you.

Marj

• Posted

Now I take Lisonopril (without the hctz) and Acetobutolol 200mg (spectral) for my blood pressure, which is controlled. The nephrologist said no more hctz. The reason he told me not to drink so much water is because I drank too much water for 16 hours before my lab work and forced myself to drink lots of water (even if I was not thirsty) so that my creatinine level would not be as high. It did help,as the water overload raised my sodium. I just hope my next lab work comes out fairly normal. I'll keep everyone updated. 

• Posted

Hi.  You kind of lost me on this one.  I know that drinking lots of water will lower your creatinine level.  That is why all my doctors yell I should drink at least 70 ounces a day, more in the summer or if active.  But you say it increased raised your sodium??  Drinking water, especially excessively, would lower your sodium level.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.