Creon (pancreatic enzymes)

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've just started taking Creon (pancreatic enzymes). I'm wondering if anyone else has taken them and how long it took to start feeling better from taking the enzymes. Thank you for any information.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hello! i have been on creon/zen pep since 2016 and those first few years were quite awful because of the constipation side effect but i drink coffee to compensate for that. i take 25000 units for snacks and 40000 units for my meals

• Posted

I take Zenpep capsules. Two before every meal, and one with a snack.

However, it depends on how you yourself react to certain fatty foods. They may require additional enzymes. For me, if I eat something fried, or very high in fat, I'll need an extra capsule to digest the additional fat. For snacks, like a scoop of ice cream, I'll take two caps instead of one.

I now eat a lot of fruit - bananas, seedless grapes, Mandarins, Watermelon, every day, even multiple times per day. For me, I don't need extra enzymes to digest fruit and the Fiber helps keep me regular and with normal bowel movements.

For each of us its different, so monitor your poop. If it shows up floaty, fluffy, and sticky, that usually means you didn't take enough enzymes. Over time you'll learn what foods you can process easily, and what foods to stay away from. For example, I now stay away from beans as they really really give me bad foul smelling odiferous gas - I call it "nefarious emissions from the nether regions". So any foods that produce an overabundance of gas I now stay away from.

And just because of the EPI, every morning I now greet the day with what I call "TFB" or "Toots from Behind". Not foul smelling, just plain gas, and lots of it! My new normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.