Crikey....... Lets visit the Hurt Scale

Posted , 6 users are following.

It seems an appropriate time, four days after a full revision to take a look at the 'hurt scale'.

One unit shall be known as a Hurtz..... Any feedback most welcome.

22 months after my first (there wont be a second) TKR I went in last Friday for the procedure.

A 'revision' for those who may not know, is starting again. All the bits that went in the first time are consigned to a bucket using an array of drills and hammers, (as its not supposed to come out) and new stuff inserted deeper into the bones to get some purchase !

Ouch indeed....

I thought (and Im sure Im not alone) that pre-tkr, I had reached 10 out of 10 on the hurt scale. Indeed I had that very conversation with the surgeon and as a result went ahead with the procedure. People told me (even some I trusted) that there was pain beyond 10 Hurtz, but as Id already peaked at 10 (for some years), I wasnt able to comprehend such numbers, so dismissed them as fiction. The ramblings of fools and scaremongers!

I then had the TKR and realised there were a further 10 levels of hurt (at least) available to me that I hadnt before considered possible.

My first of 2 MUA's got me to around a mind-blowing 25 Hurtz on the recovery table (where I was quickly re-sedated to shut me up) and Im pretty sure Im back in the mid to late 20's after attempting a leg lift earlier, rolled towel under knee or not... Crikey it Hurtz..

Discuss...

Having said that, its not too bad when resting. Much better than the first time despite the beating my leg has been through, so Im hopeful for a far better outcome. I slept last night pretty well, again better than last time. I dont have a dark blue upper leg and buttock as I did last time and no sign of the bruise around my thigh from the agricultural strapping. All in all, and I realise its very, very early days, Im reasonably (all things considered) happy. I just wish it didnt hurt so much. Im already at two and a half times (25 Hurtz) the pain that I was able imagine just 22 months ago and Im not sure its over just yet. Given the size of the pharms industry youd think this pain could be better managed... Poor show Pharms

Regards to all...

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I went to Kenmore mercy in buffalo, ny. dr romanowski was the surgeon. the staff only does knees and hips. nurses, therapists, etc. they are a well oiled machine. surgery goes fast because the staff is trained and doesnt have to be told what to do. they have their own therapy dept. they send you there 2x a day while in the hospital. they wheel you down in a recliner with wheels. you are in a private room and they cater to you one on one. then they send a physical therapist to your house 3x a week for 3 weeks or so. If you have no one at home, they send you to a hotel with nurses to care for you. or you can go to a nursing home. I was walking within hours of surgery. no bed pans. no catheters. all personnel are part of that team. dr romanowski's father in law developed this surgery and drs come from across the world to study it. I forgot his name. But I feel blessed to live in an area of excellent hospitals with excellent staff.

• Posted

peter64 I checked out your surgeon. Wish he could be cloned. I never was given any choice but TKR. I had arthritis in my knee and a tear. Never heard if minimally invasive TKR, the way they treat you after. Amazing. I didn't start PT for w weeks.I had PT's come to my house. Whata mistake...I l ost 2 weeks. I am in SE Michigan. I am so hoping I don't have to have another TKR. My leg isstraight, my rom is 120, 135 in other knee. I just can;t do the stairs. I can walk up with one handrail but going down I have to have a cane on the other side. leg swollen, numb and stiff.

• Posted

Just seen a physio at home. After my failed tkr a couple of years ago I was pushed to breaking and beyond. As such, I pushed myself yesterday believing that was the way to go, following the data sheets provided by the hospital. Think I may have upset the wound/stitching by forcing the knee to bend. Apart from that, sensational...New physio has a very different approach. Currently over the moon.

Have dropped tramadol on day 5 as not necessary. Now just ice and paracetamol for pain management.

I cant stress how different it is to have a proper job on the knee. Had a shower earlier. Compression socks on and off myself. Neither would have been possible for 6 weeks after the original and even then a bit tricky....

No question this is heading in the right direction.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.