Crippling Anxiety at Uni and Exams

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi!

I am a first year BioChem student, I have been suffering with anxiety and depression since september when I moved out from home and to uni.

I don't know what to do I am getting palpatations, feeling like I am going to throw up all the time.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety flares up constantly with periods of high stress. I know that feeling well, especially with IBS as well. Everyday I could literally make myself sick through stress and panic in uni.

I would advise seeing a GP and asking about it. Given you have exams though, stay away from antidepressants as the initial side effects aren't great. They are to quick to hand them out and you don't want to miss exams because of it.

Ask about Propranolol. It's a beta blocker and get it in a small dose like 10mg. I have gotten through a lot with this! Interviews, presentations etc. It tackles the anxiety and flight mode by numbing the adrenal response, so for me it stops the physical sensations of anxiety like the shakes, palpitations, dizziness etc, it calmed the sick feeling to. It's not a cure, but enables you to calm down enough physically to get through a day!

Given you are in uni, ask about therapy or support? Universities normally have a brilliant support network and you'll get help probably instantly. You'd be surprised how many students are in your shoes but keep a front on in public. Speak to a lecturer you trust.

I battled Anxiety throughout uni, and it was hell, only in my final year of cracking was it, that I seeked help. Kicked myself for not doing it sooner!

Hope this helps

• Posted

I can't take Beta blockers I have quite bad athma on 4 inhalers and tablets. 

I will pop into the GP in the week, How do you feel now like say you was to stop the beta blocker would you be evern worse say dependant on it or?

• Posted

Oh sorry to hear that.

Not at all, if I stop I just notice the anxiety is a little stronger but that's only as your heart rate increases again. I take them situationally. So really only 2 a week to get me through tougher days at work.

At the moment I take nothing for the anxiety. Only herbal remedies, they just seem to work better for me.

I took Propranolol though for about 2 months straight and the only side effects I got was weight gain and vivid dreams. I slowly eased off though down to when needed.

I exercise a lot though and propanolol probably halved my ability. The tiredness was a pain to.

Have you looked into any herbal remedies to help take the edge off?

Valerian root - amazing to calm nerves and sleep better

Passionflower (I take two a day) just gives me say 5/6 hours of calm and respite from the anxiety and calms your mind.

Try to avoid caffeine for a week and see if it helps to, drink plenty of camomile tea.

• Posted

I can relate to that at so many points. My anxiety started end of August cause I had to move out as well and it's been a hell on earth for me too. Try breathing techniques and try to get your mind off it as hard as this may be. The nausea part is the worst for me too. Feeling like I can't eat. Passiflora is actually good and used in homeopathy!

• Posted

I'm a university student too and I developed my first signs of anxiety just after Christmas, following the first term. It's been a year and it's worse than ever. 

It is 100% the high stress levels that trigger it. Go to your GP, they'll probably advise stress control lectures, and maybe therapy, before they offer you medication. The problem with this is the time it takes up, especially during exam period. However, please try it. Go to the therapy. Go to the lectures. Try everything. Get up ten minutes earlier and do mindful breathing. It takes a world of energy to even consider doing it but it has gotten me through some really difficult days. 

I so hope you get it under control! Good luck with schoolsmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.