Critically low on vitamin D3 and urgently need help!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there, I've found out about 3 weeks ago I'm low of vitamin D. I should mention that I am Bangladeshi female aged 24. The symptoms started 7 months ago include:

Exhaustion/tiredness

Unable to sleep properly (constantly waking up)

Very weak muscles on arms and legs (couldn't raise my arms above my head or raise my legs.)

Painful and slow climbing the stairs.

Feeling wobbly and not in control of my limbs

Psoriasis/dermatitis or dark patches all over forehead and neck and chest.

Loads of hair falling out every day (surprised I have any hair left)

Mood swings (very down on cold days and much happier on sunny days)

Walk very slow as it strain my legs. Unable to run at all.

I was given a 20,000 IU tablet of vit d3 to take twice a week for 7 weeks. My result was 15 when I had my blood test back in regards to the vitamin D level.

Am I having enough vitamin D as it's been 3 weeks and still no improvement. What can I do to stop my leg muscles from aching. How can I start climbing up the stairs faster. How long will it take for me to feel better. Should I start exercising and if so what would you recommend as it's so painful to stretch my legs. What can I do to relieve some of the symptoms because it's so depressing feeling like this all the time when I'm only 24. Please help!!!!

Thank you

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am really sorry to hear your pain and what you have been going through. I wondered if vitamin D is the only one that you need? Did they check you for other deficiencis? I hope all this can be behind you soon.
    • Posted

Yes they did a full blood test and Apparently all my other levels are normal. I just don't understand how I'm critically low in one thing but absolutely fine in everything else.

• Posted

Hi

your symptoms sound very similar to mine when I had low vitamin D.

It can take 3 months of supplementation before you get back to normal and really feel better. 

If you can expose your skin to the sun for at least half and hour daily between 11-3pm (assuming that you are in the UK?) then that will help to top up in addition to the supplements.

Sorry to hear about the pain you are going through. It is horrid. I used to feel as though my muscles were being torn apart. But the pain does go away and energy does come back.

Have you also been tested for anaemia ?

Best wishes

• Posted

Hello, thankyou for the reply and yes I am from London Uk. The only thing is we hardly ever get sunshine and when we do I'm usually indoors at work. What did u do within the 3 months for the medication to kick in in order to relieve the symptoms. And I had a full blood test and apparently everything else was fine which I found difficult to believe. Do you think my psoriasis will go? Thank you again for taking time to reply.

• Posted

While i was waiting for the supplement to take effect i spent time outdoors with my skin exposed to the sun. it was in the summer in the UK and that was adequate. can you go for a walk at lunch time? and try to leave at least your forearms and your face uncovered so that the sun reaches your skin. how quickly the skin absorbs the rays to make vitamin d depends on how dark the skin is and how strong the sun's rays are. at the moment in the UK (until September) they are strong enough.

look up the nhs website on vitamin d for more information. but please be careful with some other websites which are just pushing you to buy supplements. make sure that what you read is based on scientfic evidence!

i think that your skin will improve but you may need to discuss that with your GP also.

it is perfectly possible for everything else that they tested to be OK - we get nearly all of our vitamin D from exposure to the sun and if you are indoors most of the time then it is possible that your skin is not being exposed enough to the rays.

good luck with it all.

• Posted

I recently got a diagnosis of Tumour Induced Osteomalacia. It has been almost 7 years without a true diagnosis. They can do a blood test FGF23 to determine if there is a Phosphaturic Mesenchymal Tumor which causes Tumor Induced Osteomalacia. They can surgically remove the tumor which can be anywhere in your body. Mine was behind my Knee Cap and they even found one in a ladies ear canal. The good news is once the tumor (Traditionally benign) is removed you begin healing.

I lived with tremendous bone pain etc during this time. I had the Vit D diagnosis but it was only partially correct. They didn't know to go further because this is extremely rare. I believe they said only 300 cases in the USA. 

I hope this helps you,

Don

Don

• Posted

You already have your help - that is the standard approach in the UK to replenishing vit D levels. Once the 7 weeks are over they should check your levels again to be sure you have a good enough level. And work from there. But it may take weeks before you start to feel better I'm afraid so you have to be patient.

Your level is low because you have dark skin colour which reduces the amount of vit D your body can make by the action of sunlight on the skin. I don't know what sort of clothes you wear but often your traditional clothes prevent sun on skin - and jeans and t-shirts aren't much better. And you live in the UK where there there isn't that much sun that does the job - just between 11am and 3pm from May to September. The rest of the time it is too low in the sky. But many people in the UK with white skin have the same problem - they are working indoors when they need to go out in the sun!

There is very little vit D in food, less than 10% of what we need comes from food because few foods have much in them - oily fish and egg yolks do but you would have to eat loads of them. 

• Posted

Remember to know why you are deficient in vitamin d. I have same symptoms as you level 13 when diagnosed. Either you are not getting enough sunshine or it's a parathyroid issue.

Get your PTH and calcium levels tested. Its been 10 months and my symptoms have not greatly improved. I just found out i have kindey stones which was a red flag for parathyroid issues. Doctors focus on thyroid and often ignore parathyroid becsuse it is rare, they overlook it. Parathyroid have similiar symptoms to vitamin d deficiency. I will have mine check soon.

If you are low on vitamin d chances are you are low on magnesium too. Vitamin d from the sun stays longer in the body.

Hope you start feeling better soon.

• Posted

Hi, I had symptoms of not being able to climb the stairs and slow walking. I also had back and rib pain. My bit d levels were through the floor practically non existent but I actually had a tumour that showed up on an mri. You don't mention back pain but some of the symptoms sounded very similar to mine and I think another post had mentioned this. Good luck hope they get to the bottom of it.

• Posted

Hi Lynsey, thanks for replying and I'm just wondering why you had an MRI scan done in the first place. I've explained to the doctors all my symptoms and they put it all down to low vitamin D levels. I do get back pains I just forgot to mention above. Sometimes I need to sit down with my back and head resting on a wall or else I feel my head and body's going to collapse forward. It's a horrible feeling. I also feel nauseous some mornings and I'm unable to eat as much as I used to. What made the doctors do an MRI? I'm from London and my doctors are useless. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.