crohn's

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, my name is nick i have had crohn's for 12 years now and then diagnosed with coilitis just before christmas last year. I have had 6 operations for crohn's upto now removing most of my small bowel. Then in febuary just gone i had more surgery because of colitis, leaving me with a end colostomy. plus they removed more of my small bowel, im penciled in for more surgery after crimbo for a total colectomy and maybe TPN tubes due to lack of small bowel. 

​But the question i want to ask is, does anyone have problems with their colostomy bags coming free from the skin? the problem i have is, im a roofer which involves bending most of the day. I use the salts convex bags and belts BUT! i find they still come away from the skin on the top right hand side next to my scar? they don't come off enough for me to get in a mess, but just down to the convex part. Or so that there is a small gap for wind to escape. I have tried a few differant bags from coloplast with still no joy, if not worse? and pretty soon i will have my stoma for life so i need to sort these little things out.

i will be very greatful for anybodys help or ideas.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Nick

Sorry to hear you have been having problems with your bag coming away. The last thing you need when you're up on a roof!

have you tried Salts SecuPlast security strips? They're available on prescription and are a sort of half moon shape of tape (like the aloe type material that Salts bags have) that you stick over the edges of the bag once it's in place. So long as your skin is dry once they're put on they stick like the proverbial poop to a blanket! I used them when swimming abroad on holiday and they stayed in place until the next bag change - even though my skin was a bit sweaty due to the sort of temperatures we don't get at home!

I initially got a sample from Bullens - who send my monthly stash. The product code is SPHA2 and they come in packs of 30. I'm sure either Salts or Bullens will send you some to try but if you have difficulty in getting some I have a spare pack I could send to you.

Another thought is if you were putting a new bag on just before work and then getting a bit hot it may be why the bag doesn't stay put..? I have had a bag come away when I (stupidly) put it on before I had a bath. Doh! My job is quite physical so I change my bag a couple of hours beforehand and, touch wood, haven't had a problem so far!

Good luck!

Alison

• Posted

Hi Alison,

Thanks for that, I do have a couple of them half moon strips that coloplast sent me last week as a tester. But I was going to use them with the bags they sent, and didn't think I could use them with other bags.

I am trying the convatec convex bag at the moment but found I have to use my salts belt with it as well all the time (which I would like to not wear once in a while) I am going to try the coloplast bags later but I'm sure I will have trouble with them.

Thanks a lot for your help

Nick

• Posted

Hi Nick. Sorry but I didn't see your problem with your Colostomy equipment coming loose. I agree you need to get this sorted and I have had to get help for this myself. I use Convatec equipment 2 piece. I now use Coloplast Brava Elastic Tape to give more security. I don't know where you get your equipment but I eventually ended up gettng in touch with Alpha Med who deal with problems and your prescriptions very easily. I use Barrier Wipes to stop my skin getting sore, there are things to put in your bags to stop smell if necessary. I have found 2 piece systems the best, because my skin would not tolerate with ripping the back plate off all the time. What I can tell you is that my stomach became more peaceful after 1/2 years and I have found that Co-codamol for pain will help to slow the output down a bit. They always warn you with these that you may develop constipation, and I laugh and say NO for the first time I have some control.

Best wishes and good luck with everything Sheila

• Posted

Agree with the codeine to slow things down. I tried Immodium but needed to take 6 capsules at a time 4 times a day for them to have any effect and they gave me raging headaches. Due to your joint pain problems (I responded to that on your other thread) your gp may be happy to prescribe some co-codamol as a duel effect, to slow down the bowel, reduce bag output and give you some pain relief for your joints. Go and see your gp and explain why you want them and it would be a pretty unsympathetic Dr who wouldn't prescribe some to see if they help
  • Posted

Hi Nick, have you try Frias Balsam (Tincture of Benzoin)? it helps with the adhesion if you shave/ clean/ dry the area then apply the tincture to the area where the colostomy bag stick on. If you pay your GP a visit, they might be able to help you figure out the most suitable solutions. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.