Crohn’s and arthritis

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi everyone does anyone have any advice or joint pain? I've just come off prednisolone and I'm now 4 weeks into azathiaprine. I'm still getting joint pain in my knees and hips. I'm worried I'm getting arthritis - does anyone have any experience or advice? Is it worth me seeing a rheumatologist?

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Penelope

    I have had Crohns for over 16 years now. I controlled my symptoms for over 12 years with medication, one of which was azathiaprine. Over the years I had relied on the occasional use of prednisolone when my sysmptoms flared up.

    My Crohns has become extremely unpredicatable in the last 4 years, as my consultant decided in his wisdom to take me off all medication. Long story short, worst decision ever and I really wish I had stood up to him and refused to let him do so.

    In the last 12 months I have also suffered with severe joint pain, and have now been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis linked to crohns. I had no idea that this was even a possibility, but it can be a side effect to crohns disease.

    If you believe that your joint pain could in anyway be arthritis, I would recommend speaking to either your consultant or your GP? if caught early enough your symptoms can be treated before it becomes extremely painful.

    I hope this helps you.


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Definitely speak to your doc, I have crohn's and RA I do have a gastroent. and a rheum doctor I am going to restart biologic drug Cimzia again. It treats both of these autoimmune conditions. But you definitely should get a definite diagnosis and treatment started . I notice if my Crohn's is flaring then the joint issues become worse

    Best of luck

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      yes RA can be diagnosed but generally you need a specialist to treat and it is to be treated early to prevent joint damage. Several blood tests are used, plus the examination of your joints and with me--MRI confirmed it --along with xrays which showed bone erosions but MRI is more of a complete pic.

      I live in the US so I am referred to specialists by my GP for both conditions-a different doc for ea. but they do consult and work together.

      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up