Crohn's and joint pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 52 and diagnosed with Crohn's a year ago. I keep my symptoms under control by following a strict diet, however recently I have had pain in my feet, hands and elbows. My consultant has put me on a course of vitamin D, has anyone else been offered this as a treatment for an aspect of Crohn's?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

no, however i have been told vitamin b6 might help with similar pain
  • Posted

Hi,

The first symptom of Crohns I had was joint pain in my ankles. It got so bad that I had to crawl to get to the toilet and could only walk with a stick. Drs finally put my tummy pain and joint pain together and was diagnosed with Crohns.

The best course of treatment I had for the joint pain and inflammation was an injection of steroids into my ankle joint. It was like a miracle - within a day I was pain free and able to walk. Hope that helps. Since being treated for Crohns I haven't had the extreme joint pain since.

• Posted

Hi val

i was diagnosed with crohns 4 years ago and about 18 months ago developed a viral form of arthitus causing pain in my feet knees hands etc so much so I could hardly walk.  I was already on vitamin  d.  The consultant gave me a steroid injection to keep me going until the prescribed methotrexate started working.   This has helped with the crohns and also the joints.

• Posted

What diet do you follow please because im really struggling to find foods i can eat sad
    • Posted

I avoid gluten and dairy, although I use lacto free milk which I am able to tolerate. I avoid tea, coffee, hot chocolate and any caffeinated or fizzy drinks. The only fruit I am able to eat is mango, banana, peaches, nectarines and papaya, I eat the one fruit jellies by Hartleys and fruit baby food. I have problems if I eat raw salad or vegetables but ok with cooked. It's all trial and error I think, I'm lucky in that I've never had a bad flare up, if I cheat and eat something I normally avoid I have an upset stomach for a day which then settles if I'm strict again. My diet is similar to a paleo diet which the exception of the gluten free bread and lacto free milk. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.