Crohn’s cure ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I saw my GE yesterday, last week I had my 2 yearly MRI and I was told everything is normal and in his opinion I am cured of Crohn's, having been in remission since my op in 2013 he feels it highly unlikely I will ever have another flare-up. He will see me in a year and if all is still good will discharge me from his care. Any research I have done states there is no cure for Crohn's, only long term remission. While I am obviously happy to have been symptom free all this time apart from the bile salts malabsorption I have been left with since the op, I am not convinced it won't flare up again, after all something started it off in the first place. Any thoughts ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello anna64644

Congratulation, can you tell me what are some of the things that you do to stay in remission. I am all ears. I am really happy for you. I have Crohn's.

• Posted

Hi Joe, thank you! I don't do anything specific really, since I had the diseased bit removed and no flare ups I pretty much eat what I want within reason. Some things still upset me like orange juice, tomato sauces like spagbol, then I get surprise upsets like after a fry up but I believe it is mostly to do with the bile salts problem now. I still take B12 and vit D and a multi vit. I refuse to give up one brewed coffee a day. In the beginning I was advised to avoid high fibre, dried fruit and anything dense like doughnuts. I also still drink Yakult for it's priobotic content plus I really like it and apple or any green juice. I eat a lot of chicken and white rice and yoghurt now and again. I don't eat oranges but melon is easy on the digestion and bananas. I still do think about what I eat out of habit, I won't eat mince pies or xmas pud, they just look too rich so I avoid them and hot x buns, anything with a lot of dried fruit in. What upsets one person may be okay for another but I did a lot of reading and online research, I looked into FODMAP and I have several books written by sufferers and it is always enlightening how other people deal with it. Hope this is of use, good luck.

• Posted

Hello anna64644,

Thank so much, it is just as I though. What works for me. I have been keeping track of what upsets my stomach and I have been staying away from it. So far so good but I an really glad to hear that your in a great place. Thanks for the information.

• Posted

Hello Anna, congratulations your in remission, great place to be. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 1978. I had a resection total colonectomy. I have been in remission for 35 great ride. In 2017 I was diagnosed with active Crohns so it is possible that it may return. It has been so long ago that I was sick I forgot what my symptoms were, now i know.

I pray you have a very long run in remission. God Bless you

• Posted

Hi Sandra, thank you very much for your positive reply. Mine was an Ileocaecal resection. How wonderful you have had 35 years remission, hope your re-activity can be contained, good luck

• Posted

I say great news and God bless you! Keep positive, do what you are doing and just maybe it will never recur It is believed that crohns does not have a cure but anything is possible and there are exceptions to every rule and you be that one that exception

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.