Crohn's diet / Constipation

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there,

I have Crohn's of the stomach and terminal ileum, and i am struggling with constipation as i do not eat any fibre. I am on Humira injections fortnightly as Azathiorpine caused Pancreatitis and brought on a bad flare. I seem to live on white bread, sandwiches, pizza, Grilled chicken breast and  rice krispies. Surely there is more to life!

What fruits are OK for TI crohns? Any help muchly appreciated.

Thanks

Laura

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for your troubles!

if you google low fibre/low residue diet, there's some useful food lists.

im allowed tinned fruit, as I'm guessing it's nice and soft!

the restricted diet is like the white/beige/ boring diet!!!!! 

Im allowed 1-2 oz of carrots, swede, toms cuc deseeded and peeled.

also my 2 0z of soft fruit.

ive only eaten melon, which was a soft cantaloupe and soft peaches.

i also check nutritional values to make sure they're low fibre.

ahhhh for a nice a crispy green salad, coleslaw, brown bread with seeds...😍

• Posted

Forgot to say I peeled the peaches, and no raw veg
  • Posted

Thanks guys,

Tinned Fruit may be ok! Anything but drinking movicol after every meal!

How do you find Humira, if any of you take it?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Laura 

That doesn't sound very pleasant.

I have Crohns in large bowel which is a little different but I too developed pancreatitis after Aza and 6-MP worked well initially. My inflammation is minor currently and I eat foods of all types as well as fibre supplements (ish agile). I only need to be careful when in a flare and then as long as I avoid onions pulses and fruit juice am fairly comfortable. Bananas and toast with marmite and green tea are my staple foods when at its worst.

I am starting Humira in the next week or so and would appreciate your thoughts on its effectiveness for you.

I wish you well 

Regards

Pete W

• Posted

Hi Pete,

The Humira has worked very well for me, 9 months in, I am still in remission (Sort of) - No nasty side effects, but i am prone to infections, and have had 2 skin abscesses since been on it, but that doesn't mean you will be the same. 6-MP was an awful drug for me, pancreatits was so painful.

Keep me updated,

Laura

• Posted

Hi I had resection for Crohns of small intestine / terminal ileum with 3 strictures. Before my surgery I could only manage bananas, ripe melon & cooked apple without causing problems, although I did also manage porridge oats. Thankfully now I can manage a bit more variety. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi laura

i agree with others about tin fruit. I understand the problem with fruit is digesting the pith so it must be well pealed and tined fruit is well peeled.  Porridge is good says my own G.P.

Our diet is so boring.  I sometimes think I would be a good idea if we on the forum got together and made a two week menu.  Any volunteers?

chris

• Posted

Diet is such a tricky one as each person is different in what they can tolerate.

Maybe a recipe exchange could be useful where we can share recipes which

we have found easy to digest and that are also tasty. Just an idea.

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

think an an exchange is a good idea so here is my favourite.  Not exactly a recipe but I find it safe to eat.

one battered fish,fried.

two rounds of white bread, crust removed

lashings of real butter for the bread

and make a sandwich

Portion of apple crumble with a small amount of ice cream.   I have difficulty with cold drinks and cannot tolerate too much ice cream so some days it's custard.

not very exciting but all food fills me with horror and I always did hate cooking.

cheers chris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.