Crohn's Disease

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

My 16yr old nephew has recently been diagnosed with Crohn's disease.  He's currently in hospital and as medication has not worked they are talking about starting him on injections, I'm concerned about the side effects of these injections and would appreciate feedback from anyone with Chron's Disease.

Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

i started humira injections in July.

No side effects of any kind yet.

• Posted

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your response.  Had his first injection last week and so far so good, we're seeing a real improvement in him.  What changes have you made to your diet that you believe are particularly working for you?

Sinead

• Posted

Sinead.

Changes I believe have helped:

. avoid spices and fibre/roughage

. gluten free

. dairy free

. drink vegetable juice (a mix of cabbage/carrot/spinnach) daily

Best

Paul

• Posted

Hey,

I was on humira for just under 2 years without any side effects, the only thing I did find was that after being on the drug for that peroid of time it back less effective so i needed another drug in conjuction with the humira, but worked a treat for me.

Hope it works for your nephew.

• Posted

Hi Luke,

Many thanks for your response. Has had his first injection at this stage and we're seeing a good improvement in himm, so all good so far.  Can I please ask what changes you've made to your diet that you feel have particularly helped you, foods you avoid, foods you now include in your diet?

Thanks,

Sinead

Sinead

• Posted

I've made a few changes but im bad every once and a while and might have one of my excluded food with the knowledge I'll suffer a few hours later.

I avoid;

Fresh juice (Orange, etc)

Anything with pips

Spicy food

Anything high in fiber

Red meat

Alcohol

I tied glutten and dairy free but didn't see an improvement in my condition so added them back in.

Every person is different, including myself there are 3 of my family members with Crohns and we all have different experiences when it comes to 'trigger' foods, best advise I can gave is to start a food diary to track what you eat and then what reaction you have the same and following day and then you can slowly start to exclude foods that might be causing a problem.

It can be a bit on a long process but in the long run its really worth it, remember you have this for life so a few months testing out foods isn't a lot of time in the grand schem of things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.