Crohn's Disease - What to do if ill and can't work?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed in 2014 and have been lucky enough to be remission since my diagnosis. 

My boyfriend and me are moving out to our own place in the next month and I have started worrying what will happen if I get ill and can't work?! 

What will happen with my work and with my pay?! 

Always worrying about this! 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beth, sorry to hear you have crohns. I have crohns since 2008, i have a flare up since 2012. VDon't get stressed too much you make yourself  not well. Good luck!
  • Posted

Worrying will not help but if you can try and see if insurance is affordable.  It may be too high as you have Crohns but it is worth investigating.  There used to be mortgage protection but I don't know if they do that now. 

Enjoy your our new home with a bit of luck you may be in remission for years.

• Posted

Stop worrying!! I know it's easier said than done! lol. Surely you would be entitled to company or statutory sick pay. My insurances always exclude crohns... which is rubbish! Hopefully you'll stay in remission for a long time. If not .. You'll manage. They can wait for their money. Your health is more important! Good luck in your new home ☺
  • Posted

Hello In cases like this it depends on your employers policy some will only pay you sick pay which I belive is £75 pw if you work for a decent medium sized non Plc company and you have worked for them a good length of time with a good work record and you are a valued member of staff you may find they are sympathetic to your illness. best thing to do is discuss your concerns with your line manager or hr department if he cannot help please comment again if I can help any further regards Jon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.