Crohn’s/herniated disc/feminine health issues

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I am joining this forum because my 29 year old girlfriend has had a slew of health problems over the past year or so and we are looking for other opinions and answers to get her some relief.

She has been in chronic pain due to a herniated disc stemming from an injury that is several years old, but is only recently giving her problems. She had had three sets of injections that haven't given her relief. They are trying not to perform surgery. She is unable to stay in the car or sit for extended periods of time.

She has recently had severe nausea and abdominal pain. Two endoscopies later, they say that it is small bowel crohn's. Thus has been a long process, but she will begin medication now. There have been times where she needs to be carried to the bathroom because she is in too much pain. She also had an episode where she almost passed out while driving. She has lost a lot of weight including muscle.

She also gets very frequent UTIs as well as BV. Having a UTI on top of her other symptoms is too much to bare. She is very distressed and says she can't handle this, especially as she needs to continue working as a busy school psychologist.

Some background info, she has hyperthyroidism and takes medication daily. She has been a vegetarian for 14 years or so. Until less than a year ago, she was very healthy. She enjoyed a lot of activity and traveling whenever possible. Her father is a great family doctor who sees a lot of patients. Unfortunately, we are hoping to find some other people in the medical community to get another opinion.

My main concern is that her body's ability to recover and her overall health has gotten very bad. I am wondering if anyone has an idea of root causes we can address. We would be overjoyed if it were all tied to a treatable condition or something as simple as diet. We would love it if anyone has an idea of people we can reach out to. We live in the Dallas area.

Thank you for your time,

Gordon

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

This can most likely be all hormonal. It will take great effort to find solutions and good doctoring. I would encourage endroconoligst to start. And she needs to read everything she can find on the thyroid and what happens when out of sync. I started perimenopause and thats when I went from healthy to very sickly and had so many things go wrong. So many of them the same as you describe. You have now become part of a group of thousands who fight everyday for their health. You must become WARRIORS that fight a battle everyday to find solutions, it can take years! I so respect you for taking such care with your girlfriend. There are several books in print re thyroid issues seek them out and there some really good drs on line that understand the issues, most drs DONT! Maybe getting involved with such places as the MAYO CLINIC would serve you well, wouldnt have to work so hard to find knowledgeable drs! All of this said it is a difficult and frustrating journey with no quick solution, stay strong and fight like crazy. You will need to be assertive with some of the drs to do their best by you or help you find drs that can help you. As an aside diet does influence thyroid. My very best wishes are with you and I am sending some hugs too!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response! I will make sure that we research thyroid issues further and that she considers seeing an endocrinologist. We appreciate the hugs and encouragement

• Posted

welcome to the forum

I feel so much for you with regards to pain

When I had fall from the horse I was riding a couple of months ago I couldnt stand up sit comfortably walk - I was bedridden & to get to the toilet i had to crawl & hang on to aything that would help me to get up & sit on it

My mum was a hero she was coming down to my house every day morning noon & night to help me wash dress & cooked my meals

I had to have a medical visit & referred to a physio which was very difficult because I couldnt even walk into the physio's room , he & my mum had to help me -the reason for the pain was because I broke my pelvis & had severe pain down the bottom of my right leg

Lots of hugs , cuddles & very best regards

• Posted

Thank you so much. I am sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you have recovered! Take care

• Posted

Hi Godon

Yes Ive recovered physically . Im surrendering my crutch on 3rd october (the last physio) - after that the first thing Im going to do is get my riding back on track (I hope my instructor has kept to her word & has kept my window open

All Ive got to know now is have ths respiratory test to find out why this infection on my lung wont disappear & why I get chest pains & I'll be even better

• Posted

Glad to hear you're getting back on the horse! Best of luck with your respiratory problems. Keep pushing! You're almost there.

Take care

• Posted

Hi Godon88212

Thanks a lot - I hope that the nurses dont say i recommend you dont .-then my uncle michael will have won -he wants me to give it up -which i am NOT doing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.