crohns

Posted , 4 users are following.

My Step son has had Crohns for 20 years, he has had a stoma fitted permentaly  recently, hes a worry, his mood isnt good nor is any ambitions he once had, how can we get through to make him realise having a stoma doesn't mean hes no life, Stomas do not stop you doing anything you wish. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello, tell your Step son I feel low sometimes and have moods swings. Does he have any interests or friends?  I suggest ant-depressants. Hope this helps you and him.
  • Posted

Hello,

Sorry to hear that your stepson is feeling down.

I had a temporary Ileostomy for about 11 months. Put if off for about 20 years and felt down myself when I first had it.

I got a lot of support from a site called Inspire.com

If you take a look at the site and do a search for 'ostomy' this will take you to the forum that I used.

It's mainly Americans on the site but there are Uk based users to.

They have a mantra that 'no question is a stupid question' so you can ask anything!

They're a very friendly and welcoming bunch. Some of the folk who post have hilarious stories they enjoy sharing. 

They have hints on ways to change the bags, diet tips and product information which can make life easier.

There have been numerous posts where people have felt very down and negative when they first start living with a stoma but the support they receive is amazing.

It's a massive lifestyle change when you get a stoma. It's not like you're going to feel comfortable talking to your mates about it over a few beers after all!

Please use him to take a look at the site.

If there's anything you'd like to ask me feel free to ask!

There's a great company I can recommend for supplies who give loads of freebies with each order such as bed pads, moist wipes, dry wipes, hand sanitiser etc. If I put their name here the post won't go through. If you want more info on them please private message me.

Good luck! X

• Posted

Hello, I have had a stomach for 41 yrs, I was 21 when I woke up from surgery with a bag, I was stunned. Didn't want it, didn't like it. How could I raise two small children being a single woman, work, take care of a home, and make quality time with my children? I just did it. I worked, I took care of my home, and most importantly I lived, I lived because I wanted to, I lived for my kids. I took them on vacations, we went swimming, we climbed hills, and now I climb in and out of small children's wagons, playground equipment, bounce houses, with my Great grandchildren, I have a blast.

I remarried my husband loves my body because he loves me. I didn't let this colostomy bag stop me. This is not a disability and I wasn't going to make it one. I'm alive because of this and grateful to God for saving my life even if it meant looking different than other women. Tell your grandson it's not the colostomy that defines him as a person, it is his attitude. Tell him it's not the end but perhaps just the beginning of a new life without pain.

God Bless.

• Posted

Sorry, that's suppose to read Stoma not stomach, although I have one of those too. Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.