Crohns diagnosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

So following my colonoscopy the colonoscopist said that it looks like I have Crohns so he gave me a letter to give to the doctor so that I could be put on medication. He took biopsies and said that I should have the results in a couple of weeks. Anyway I started on budesonide 9mg with some calcium tablets. Thankfully this has eased the pain in my stomach and I have been taking them for two weeks. I saw the consultant today and he was a bit confused as he thought this was our initial meeting. I explained that I saw a consultant privately hence why I had the colonoscopy quicker. The consultant apologised and said that if I was in so much pain, the GP should have referred me sooner. He said that I have severe inflammation and can see that my bowel has narrowed and mentioned a striture. He explained that this involves surgery but then said if my symptoms have eased then they may not to consider this. They also think I might have tuberculosis and took some bloods for this. I'm due to have an MRI scan in two weeks and following this I am going to discuss all the results with the gastroenterologist. I'm not sure when this will be. The consultant wasn't really clear about the surgery aspect and I am a bit worried about this. I have no idea when I'll see the gastroentologist. I thought surgery is usually down the line with crohns. Any advice or experiences with this. I suppose the good this is I'm not in pain so I'm taking this as a positive.

Thanks

Saima

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have crohns and I have two operations. So, I know what your going through. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi, I'm not much help I'm afraid as still waiting for a diagnosis but it's great to hear that you are being helped. I hope that you continue to improve on the meds. Is the suspected TB in ur bowel?
  • Posted

I had surgery due to strictures 5 years ago after suffering a couple of bowel obstructions. The surgeon managed to take out the part with the strictures and the part with the active crohns. Recovery for me was slow due to some other problems not connected with crohns and I have to take medication to replace bile salts but it's a small price to pay for feeling so much better and not spending all my life in the loo ! I do have the odd bad day but nothing like it was. Make sure the surgery if it goes ahead is really necessary but beware crohns can return very quickly it's not always the answer. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi SaiA,

I have had crohn's for 52 years since age 14 and I know what you are going through also. Had one explatory for no test found crohn's so they did this and found the crohn's and also took out appendix, had 3 strictures due to obstructions and most recently March 2015. Found out in August this disease has returned with inflammation and a narrowing of the small bowel. I have pain again with  diarriaha and am careful about what I eat. I have this pain above the bellybutton  which when I lay on my right side it's a pulling pain and takes my breath away does anyone else have this after surgery. I never had this in all the other surgeries I had. Crohn's never go away you can go into remission with medication. Hope all goes well with you.

Dx Crohn's 1963, Pentase, maybe mercaptopurine, multi vitamin, vitaminb3 2000IU, DHA 600mg, CQ10 100mg b12 shots

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.