Crohns disease and Vit B12 deficient Need Help!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Crohns in 09 and prescribed mercaptupurine 6.  1012 built up my B12 injections (every other day/weekly/monthly) 2 days after my first 3 month jab you could split my brain in half! Sharp pain on left side of head and right side completely numb with stiff neck.  I was so dizzy i dropped to the floor and the right side of my face went completely mumb and was dribbling.  It went after afew hours and Doctor said nothing to do with the jab and left it, but since then it seems the b12 jabs dont seem to work.  Always feel im not in my own body, confused (Taking 2/3 minutes to recognise my own toothbrush and then putting toothpaste on the wrong side!  Had to throw the brush and paste in the sink to stop myself doing it then my temp raised that i looked purple! Extreme exhaustion, dizzy spells, jelly legs, pins and needles in hands and feet, palputations which are so bad sometimes they wake me up!  Sometimes chest pain with it, Blurry, light sensitive eyes feeling like im going mad thinking everyones against me and crying for no reason!  Today i have a nasty shooting pain on left side of head shooting to back of my neck and temp up and down to the extreme!! Cant go out on my own anymore and cant go to parents eve with my 3 children!! Very upsetting Please Help!!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Forgot to say my Gastroenterology consultant says it's nothing to do with my condition and I should go to my GP but my GP has turned to me and said "What do you want me to do about it"  It's been going in over 2 years now I have just turned 40 it's not only ruining my life but all my family around me.  Please help someone!
  • Posted

So sorry your GP is so unsimpathetic.  Can you not change doctors.  You are entitled to decent care.  You must find someone who can help you.
    • Posted

Thanks Isabel it has been mentioned in the past as it took her 2 years to agree to shared care with my Consultant for my Crohns!  All my meds have now been suspended as no one knows whats wrong?  Just nice to know after looking on this forum I'm not on my own.
  • Posted

Hi Julia, this sounds awful. I can't believe your Gastroenterology consultant is just dismissing it as "nothing to do with your condition". Crohns will definitely have an effect on lots of other things. I'm no medical expert, but it must mean your digestive system isn't working properly, because you're low in B12. Have they tested for other vitamin deficiencies? If it's not absorbing one vitamin, it may mean you are very low in others. I do know from other posts on here, that you need a lot of the vitamins to be at least halfway up their scale, in order for the B12 injections to be used by your body. A lot of people recommend taking a good quality multivitamin to try to help address this problem. (That is assuming your digestive system will absorb it?). Marion
    • Posted

Thanks Marion, Crohns is the reason for my deficiency but they are adamant these symptoms are not related? My consultant aranged a brain scan which cameback normal but he said he wrote to my GP saying I needed to be refered to a nurologist but my GP hasnt received anything and refuses to refere me?  Am cought between a rock and hard place!  Dont get me wrong I dont miss the chemo drugs but my nurse is worried the longer I stay off them the less likely i will stay in remission.  Nobody has mentioned extra vitamins.  I tend to eat alot of soup as i get very hot and dizzy if i eat a big meal.  Thank you for your reply.
    • Posted

Hi again Julia, I don't think taking a good multivitamin would be harmful. As long as there's nothing in them that would react with your Crohns! Soups can be very good, probably best if they're homemade. Do hope your doctors get things sorted, and you get your neurologist appointment. They often seem incapable of communicating with one another! In these days of emailing, surely it's not that difficult! Good luck with getting it all resolved. Marion
    • Posted

Hi again Marion,

There are no dietry triggers with my Crohns they think it's hereditry (Dad died from Bowel Cancer and Brother had UC at 16 has now had bowel removed) so will try vitamins.  Only reverted to soup when these latest symptoms of dizzyness, eratic blood pressure and palpitations started as i found eating food agrivates it for about an hour.  My GP has categorically said She will Not refer me.  Happy Days

• Posted

Hi Julia

cant you get in touch with your consultant and as him to re send letter to your GP.  Its a pity some GPs have this "I am always right" syndrome.  It would be nice to be properly listened to as a person and not just a number on the GPs daily list.  I do hope that you get sorted soon.

• Posted

Hi Isabel,

He said he has re sent the letter but my GP insists the letter does not state that I shouldbe refered then went on to say "So what if your diagnosed with something?  Thats just a name for the way you feel"  Was in complete shock.  This is why I joined this forum last ditched attempt at not feeling so isolated.

• Posted

I have Crohns, and it can cause lots of extra-intestinal symptoms (arthiritis is a common one), but what you're describing sounds like a deficiency - in fact it does sound like a B12 deficiency. I had similar, though perhaps not so severe symptoms about 6 weeks after my very first injection, but felt a lot better once I'd got some more.

Have a look at crohnsforum.com. There's a wealth of stuff there about vitamin deficiencies.

• Posted

Yes it is a B12 deficiency and have been having injections for over 2 years now but still no change in my symptoms they are actually getting worse.  Thank You for the link I will have a look.
    • Posted

Have they at least checked your levels with a blood test? Regular iron-deficiency anemia is also quite likely with Crohns, so they certainly should be doing that.

Most parts of the world seem to get monthly B12 injections, but the NHS is insistent on sticking to 3 months. I found B12 patches do make a noticeable difference; not so much the pills or lozenges which rely more on your bowels working properly. It doesn't seem there's any problem with getting too much of the stuff so you don't have to rely on the GP completely. 

• Posted

Thank you for that will look into the patches.
  • Posted

Have you reported your GP.  No doctor has a right to speak to you in such a manner.  Can you make an appointment and get your husband to go with you. The GP may not be so aff hand if there is someone with you.  My GP who has just retired was one of the nicest people I know and always listened.  His replacement is younger but he too is very good.  You dont get the feeling you are being rushed out the door. My Pa and vit b12 deficiency makes me very up and down but at least the GP listens to me.
    • Posted

Hi Isabel,  She said that with Him there!  I had the same idea but it didnt work lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.