Crohns Symptoms?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all my name is Stacey and I'm 26. Last year I contracted sepsis and it was mistaken for appendicitis so ended up in ICU fighting for my life. I have now been left with what is possibly crohns after my body attacking is self and becoming inflamed. I'm waiting go go back and see ny surgeon but currently suffering from pain in the front of my right leg (feels like shin splints), inflamed gum at right hand side, abdominal pain and sickness on and off, constipation cold hands /feeling cold and excessive sweating both day and night. All this has been happening over the past few weeks but pretty much have all these symptoms at present. Hospital initially thought it was just ibs but just curious as they mentioned crohns at my last colonoscopy and I just wondered if anyone could confirm of any of these could be related to crohns.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stacey

All of your symptoms sound like Crohn's....but they could also be other things!!

I used to get real problems with my shins years ago before I was diagnosed.....very painful...just as you describe.  I also get mouth ulcers and problems regulating body temperature.

Have you had any small bowel investigations??

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've not had any small bowel investigations so far just the colon. I've heard that crohns can be difficult to diagnose but I feel im exhibiting more symptoms than just that of ibs. I'm hoping that they will take all the symptoms into consideration when I return to see my surgeon. I can go for ages being fine then I get knocked for 6 and it lasts a couple of weeks then I'm feeling fine. I've tried keeping a food diary but haven't found anything significant and during times I'm feeling worse I can eat things I normally would and they can cause so much pain.
    • Posted

Hi stacey im also new here. I had been told I had ibs for the last 20yrs. I had 2 hospital admissions, iv antibiotics and what now seems, a pointless appendectomy. I have recurrent attacks of vomiting and diarrhoea, abdo pain, mouth ulcers, terrible knee and leg pain, drastically reduced diet, constant headaches and fatigue. I pushed for a referral to the hospital in august last year after another bad period of all of the above. Just yesterday I got told that my stool sample showed high markers for crohns sad im v angry right now that ive been dismissed time and time again and just left to suffer. If u feel something is not right, then keep pushing for tests to prove otherwise. Good luck!
    • Posted

There are typical foods that can trigger a flare in Crohn's...such as nuts and seeds...raw onions, tomatoes, celery, granary breads etc.  Also overly sweet things, chocolate and fizzy drinks can be a problem.  But everyone is different and its a very personal journey finding the route that works for you.

However, a positive diagnosis would be a good start so you at least know what you're dealing with.  And yes, it can be really tricky and take years to get that!! I almost died of Salmonella over twenty years ago before i got my diagnosis.  I was being investigated for over five years before that happened and had all the relevant tests......to be told that it was 'depression'!! A year after the salmonella I was hospitalised again and again almost died...they didn't know what it was and for weeks they searched.  In the end they had to open me up....and there it was...about a foot of Crohn's in the Terminal Ileum!!.....Definitely not depression, although I wasn't very happy!!

Don't give up, maybe ask for a small bowel investigation, and make sure you look after yourself

• Posted

hi stacey

i have just been diagoinesed with crohnns, i have it in the terminal illeum, i have aching joints, but mostly boughts of diarhorer  going to the tiolet 10/15 times a day, with cramping in the stomach, being tired all the time. I like you tryed different foods, but there is no rym or reason. I must say that i have received excellent  service from the hospital and consultant.

this has been happing for a long time i had thought it was ibs, but i was alarmed when the tiolet was filled with blood, and i thought whoops time to get to the docs, i was seen within two weeks, had a colonscopy , followed with a mri scan which confirmed crohns.  I have been under the consultant for a year now, trying steriods first to calm the crohns down, but as soon as i stopped, it came back twice as bad. I have had azathioprene tablets which i had a severe reaction too, but have a weekly injection of methoratraxate for 16 weeks , then going to a tablet form. So far things have settled down, but if these doesnt work i think i will have to result to surgery.

The main thing is getting it diagoised, and then finding the right treatment for you, i hope you get ansews soon and feel better smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.