Cronic? Cough and mucus on the back of the throat

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I'm 17 years old. For a few months (started on September I think) now I've had this cough along with mucus on the back of the throat. I went to the doctor and eventually the cough disappeared for a few weeks (but the mucus didn't) and now it's back! I am planning on going to the doctor again this week - but I am not sure if I have to.

I also need to get vaccinated, but the doctor said that I cannot get vaccinated until the symptoms are gone! I have no other symptoms other than the cough and mucus. No fever, no nothing! Do you think this may be an allergy?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think at 17 it is very unlikely to be bronchiectasis especially as you have already visited your doctor about this and it would be very unlikely you would get a CT at your age unless it was very serious because of the risk of cancer.

There is a very good chance it could be allergies, especially as the mucus is just in your throat and not on your chest and you have no other symptoms.

Is there a time of day you get the cough more or a place where you cough more? Have you been around a new pet or a dusty atmosphere? Even things like not changing your sheets every week can set some people's allergies off. Or perhaps you have a new detergent or cleaning product.

Try some antihistamine to see if it helps. Also try giving up dairy for a week because some people get affected by this.

If you are still worried after a week or you are getting other symptoms go back to your doctor.

• Posted

Bronchiectasis knows no age. In a bronchiectasis group I belong to there are parents of children younger then 10 that have bronchiectasis.

• Posted

I am not saying that people who are young can't be affected, I am just saying it is unlikely of someone who is 17 who displays no other symptoms than a cough with phlegm who has visited their doctor with these symptoms. I don't think it is necessary to worry someone of 17 of a serious illness which the likelihood of them getting is statistically very rare and going by their symptoms is very unlikely. If you thought it could have been a possibility you could have suggested it in a less direct way. For example, "there are many conditions relating to coughing with phlegm from a common cold to bronchiectasis, but you need to explore this further with your doctor if you are worried." In my opinion, as someone who has had allergies and a serious lung condition, it sounds much more like allergies to me. Maybe I am wrong, which is why I wrote in my reply "if you are still worried after a week or you are getting any other symptoms go back to your doctor." I am not trying to undermine your opinion, I just think you maybe need to understand how your response may have come across to someone who isn't quite yet an adult. I didn't mean any offense to you in my reply and I am sorry if you took it that way because it wasn't how it was intended.

• Posted

After rereading my reply I could have softened it a bit. However I did tell him to see a doctor.

• Posted

Update! I went to my doctor again the other day and she prescribed me an antibiotic: Azax 500.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.