Cronic GAD struggling to function afraid to take medication

Posted , 7 users are following.

Sorry long story but here it goes.......

I was adopted and have always had abandonment issues, so at some points in my life I have felt anxiety, but I coped and just got on with things. First time I felt I needed medical help was when I had my first baby and my adopted mother died soon after she was born. I went on Prozac for six months and felt OK. Years later I had a huge row with my husband and the panic attacks started but I didn't know that that's what they were and thought I was having a heart attack, many trips to A&E I did have tachycardia and was given Propanalol, I take it when I need it, it stops the palpitations. In 2013 I got breast cancer then in 2014 after grueling treatment I found out my husband for 25 years was having an affair for the last seven years. I knew some thing wasn't right in the marriage but I never thought he would do that to me. So my anxiety has been horrendous after this was exposed. I was referred to a psychiatrist and she prescribed dizapram and sertraline but I'm too frightened to take it. Just want to shut the world out. Just can't seem to see any lift at the end of the tunnel. Be grateful for any advice. I am unsure whether the palpitations are all anxiety related because it's been going on for so long.?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

So sorry for all of your loss Amber. Anxiety and stress can definitely cause panic attacks. Breathe deep and take steps to do what needs to be done to manage it. Build a trustworthy support network and be strong. Kick out the cheater! Pray, pray pray! Trust God! Hugs to you.
  • Posted

I'm so sorry that you've been put through so much. My heart goes out to you.

The palpitations can be a mix of the tachycardia and anxiety. The antidepressant can make anxiety worse in the beginning, but the diazepam will help get you through it. It helps take the edge off, and calm the anxiety, so don't be afraid to try it.

When my anxiety kicks in, or even if it's a high stress day, my heart gets stupid and does what it wants to. It's very common for those of us with anxiety. Try to relax as much as possible.

• Posted

I am on diazepam and also started Zoloft 25mg 5 weeks ago. First off I'm so sorry for what you've been through and are going through. I was scared to take the Zoloft too read every thing I could good and bad and one night I decided enough is enough and I took it and in 5 weeks my outlook on life has changed so much, I'm beginning to feel like the old me I can leave the house go grocery shopping with my wife and to the other stores. I've been on Valium for 38 months at 20mg through out the day but it wasn't controlling it now with the Zoloft it's getting much better. I will say in the beginning I wanted to give up due to side effects but I hung in there. Give it a try. Wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hi Aj

Thank you for replying what sort or side effects did you have after taking Zoloft? I am sure I will muster up the courage and start taking them soon. I am going on a holiday 8 July and didn't want to start incase the side effects were bad and I couldn't go. So planned to start on my return.

Glad you are feeling better, can't wait to feel well again.

• Posted

Just remember that nothing that has happened to you is your fault, or caused by anything you did. You've been through a lot, for sure, but you can and will get over it.

My anxiety is also triggered by traumatic events and health problems and like you, I do not take meds out of fears of side effects. I've recently had a course of counselling, which is worth a try depending on where you are.

I cope mainly by my own methods, I do a lot of mindful meditation, I use apps and videos on the computer which have meditation and breathing techniques to help. They really do work. Places like this are great as reading other people's stories and experiences does help you remember that you're not the only one.

I was close to becoming completely agoraphobic, I even went as far to cancelling a holiday with my partner because I couldn't face the trip and didn't want to ruin it, but slowly I am getting better. I ensure that I don't stop my routine, I don't take time off work because of the anxiety and I try to get out and about as much as I can in order to teach myself to realise there's nothing to be afraid of.

I truly hope you can find some peace

• Posted

Thank you for replying, I hope to be in a much better place soon I hate feeling like this it's such a waste of time. Glad you are feeling a bit better.

• Posted

Great post. Very helpful, and good for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.