CRP and PV as part of monitoring Sjogrens?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi - I'm into my seventh week on Mycophenolate Mofetil for my Sjogrens (thought to be primary). I was previously diagnosed with RA five years ago and have already spent a few years on related drugs. This is the first one I've so far tolerated very well and I think it's starting to work overall. However when the GP practice monitors my bloods I get results back for ESR, PV and CRP (I'm under two practices just now as in the middle of a complex relocation). As usual they are all raised - ESR 54, PV 1.87 and CRP 14.

My question is - are these useful markers for monitoring those of us with Sjogrens because I've read that our markers will often be very high regardless of disease activity?

And yet a six month period on oral steroids took my CRP right down to 2.5 so I'm guessing that the inflammation markers do reflect when something is amiss for me? I was disappointed by these blood results as I was hoping they would show that the Mycophenolate was working to reduce my inflammation levels at last.

They have been much higher previously but also much lower too (apart from PV which is only tested infrequently - often says "insufficient bloods" and was 1.98 at the last reading six months ago). I'm more familiar with the ESR than PV - which has replaced ESR in my new area.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Another reply to be moderated?? Why I wonder? I'm only replying using polite wording in a friendly manner? I do dislike being moderated for no apparent reason apart from possible typos that I can't edit?!

• Posted

Hey it's not your fault Cath don't be sorry! Problem is that I'm using my wee iPhone so it's hard to edit as eyes not great and fingers full of neuropathy so very clumsy!

• Posted

Hi y'all

Just a quick word about 2 things which I know can trigger the auto-moderator when Allen's off:

1) the stray period or an ellipsis. A period not followed by a space or two makes the system think we're trying to sneak in an unsanctioned website referral. There are strict rules about what websites you can reference so the system is designed to capture any possible offense. Folks comme moi who only reply on our phones tend to have stray periods where in fact we want a space between 2 words

2) brand names of medicines - big no-no. Can be gotten around sometimes by not capitalizing the first letter, but if you type a post with 10 med names, lower case may not save you.

Somewhere there's a list of do's & don'ts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.