CRP high

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has a anyone had their CRP stay elevated and not have any pain.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Bella, CRP is a substance produced by the liver. CRP is classified as an acute phase reactant, which means that its levels will rise in response to inflammation. So it may be rising to anything, not necessarily only PMR.

Good luck on the rest of your journey, think positive and try to smile. ☺️

• Posted

Thank you, I am not sure were to go from here. Guess I will keep trusting my Rhuemy to come up with the answer. I do know that when I first got PMR i was put on 20mg prednisone and the pain went away in 2 days and the CRP was low. I went to 15mg and pain came back. Went to 30 mg and got the pain down but CRP went up. CRP has never went down since and i am on 20 mg now.
  • Posted

CRP can be raised for several reasons- including chest problems. I think your rheumy should be looking a bit further. 

How raised is it?

• Posted

And what is their normal range (it varies from lab to lab and according to the units). That usually appears in brackets after the level.
    • Posted

Then it is noticeably raised isn't it. Though I know someone where it was in the low teens and her doctors wouldn't let her reduce the pred any further even though she felt perfectly well. Then one thought maybe it was "her normal" - she is a tall lady and at the time pretty well-built thanks to pred (put on about 6 stone/80lbs without eating more, just pred). She slowly reduced the pred dose, no return of symptoms, and she got off pred about 6 or 7 years ago. I don't know if it has fallen since. 

There is a basic rule in PMR/GCA: the symptoms always trump the blood markers. They are only a guide, not gospel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.