CRPS after a Total Knee Replacement

Posted , 1 user is following.

I had a total knee replacement in 2014. During physical therapy, the therapist said- you are not improving with your range of motion. I believe this problem is in your head.

I went to my knee doctor- he gave me a brochure about CRPS & sent me home. I read it and I had all the symptoms:

• skin in that area was pink
  • the nerves were sensitive to the softest fabric of my pjs.
  • after I shaved my legs- the hair grew faster in that area around the knee.
  • my range of motion was limited because when I exercised and/or had therapy - the knee felt stiff & swollen on the inside (no swelling on the outside).

After surgery, my brain continued to send messages to my knee- "to heal". It sent additional blood & chemicals, which caused the inflammation. Inflammation is part of healing.

My knee doctor prescribed Gabapentin in a tablet form. The medication did help. He said it may just subside. I quit taking the medication and it has been over 5 years & I still have this.

Right after surgery, I was able to straighten my leg 100%. This is not the usual, but the opposite of most patients. I appear normal in all activities, except getting up from sitting on the floor. It is awkward looking

when I get up. The CRPS happens to 1% of the world population that has an injury or surgery to their limbs (arms/legs). There is not a lot known by most doctors. Unknown what causes it and/or what can cure it.

My left knee is now in pain with Osteoarthritis. I will not be having surgery. I am going to try Stem Cell therapy.

Many years previous to the knee replacement- I developed a golf ball size tumor in my breast in less than 30 days. I had surgery to remove it. The doctor went through my armpit- to avoid a nasty scar on my breast. I went home and stayed in bed for 3-4 days on a narcotic pain medication.

My family didn't notice that I had my arm bent at my elbow- holding it close to my ribcage during this time. 10 days later when I should be able to drive a car. My arm was frozen in that position.

The nerves began to heal- thinking that was all they were supposed to do! A BFF took me to a friend, who was an excellent massage therapist. I went every day. He put very warm towels on my arm & massaged it. He then begun to stretch it out a little more each time he worked on me.

I also did exercises at home, after a warm shower. One month later, I was much better & I did fully recuperate from that!

My point for sharing that- the nerves start healing right away. My opinion is that you need to start PT as soon as possible, to help you get back to 100%. I think PT needs to be changed when a patient has a limb injury/surgery. Something is missing in the healing process, but this gives us a lot to think about... CRPS- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.