Crps after bi lateral hernia surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I wanted to know if anyone has been diagnosed with this horrible condition after surgery for hernia repair, I had surgery in 2005 and a few weeks later I started having burning pain in pelvic, now recently, November 2016,i was in car accident and broke my hand it took 8 months for Dr's to listen to me about how my dominate hand was painful, hair started growing fast, nails, and the color change,the burning was just terrible, but still the surgeon wouldn't listen. It's embarrassing to ask about the burning in pelvic area,my tailbone hurts even if just sitting in a soft recliner, but the burning is like deep in my rectum that's what makes hard to talk about, suffering for over 10 years has taken alot from me as well as my wife and 2 wonderful boys, please let me know if anyone else has been diagnosed with Crps in pelvic, I've got so many questions about what has helped. Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello, James.

I am so sorry that you have CRPS.

I have CRPS but it is in my right foot and leg.

But I have heard about people having CRPS in their torso. I have read of people who have "full body CRPS". From the symptoms that full body CRPS people describe it sounds like Fibromyalgia. But Fibromyalgia on steroids! I have Fibromyalgia too.

The pain in my foot is like Fibromyalgia pain but much worse.

I take 1800 mg of Gabapentin a day, Pristiq XR 50 mg a day and I take 2 Benadryl at bedtime. The Benadryl puts me to sleep and keeps me asleep and has helped so much with inflammation and pain.

I have had CRPS for a little over 2 years now. I was on crutches for a year and could not walk at all. When I started taking the Benadryl I was able to start walking again because the pain was so much less.

I have been walking for a little more than a year. My pain has gone from a 9 or 10 to a 2 or 3, sometimes I have no pain just numbness.

Do NOT use ice or compression or elevation on your hand. These protocols do not work for CRPS and will actually make it worse or make it spread.

Conventional physical therapy does not work on CRPS. Only do physical therapy that is SPECIFICALLY for CRPS.

Keep your hand, fingers and wrist moving. This is VERY important. The more you use your hand the better it will become.

It hurts to use it but the more you use it the less pain and swelling and discoloration you will have.

Even when I couldn't walk I did range of motion exercises and walking in a pool. When I was walking with the crutches I moved the CRPS leg foot and ankle like I was walking, I just didn't put a lot of pressure on it.

I watch my diet. I try to avoid sugar and foods that turn into sugar, like potatoes and pasta and bread. Eat a good clean diet. Avoid alcohol and caffeine, anything that over stimulates the nervous system. Even spicy food will make CRPS act up.

I know if I eat these foods I am going to have pain.

Drink plenty of water, get sunshine and fresh air.

Take time to enjoy yourself.

Get plenty of sleep. The Benadryl knocks me out and I sleep 5 or 6 hours before I wake up and then I have no problem getting back to sleep again. Sleep is so important because our bodies repair while we sleep.

Pace yourself throughout the day. Rest when you need to. Don't overdo.

It is trial and error to learn what helps you.

Read the posts and replies

on this site. There is good info in them.

Take care and gentle hugs.

Tracy

• Posted

Hi James. Sorry to hear your doctors are not listening to you. 

Can you get a referral to a pain consultant who may be able to diagnosis this and also treat you. 

Now it is in your hand it could spread to other Limbs. Not to scare you but it's being realistic.  

I have it in left foot 14 months ago.  It's spread to all my limbs spine neck and I think pelvis now.   

I am doing ok as I got a block into right foot and that helped and right arm. My left side is struggling. They think I have early stage of dystonia.  I did my best since I had my fall   I worked hard to walk again and succeeded. I had a great diet.  Yet this has all happened. It's disheartening. But I will keep fighting.  My biggest issue now is the stiffness and pain in my back.  I never had any issues before crps. I was healthy lady !! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.