CRPS diagnosed while my wrist is still fractured - is this possible?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I broke my right wrist (radius) 8 weeks ago and today i was diagnosed with crps, despite my wrist (radius) still being fractured. I was taken out of my cast at 5 weeks with no examination or x-ray and told my wrist was healed. I returned to A+E 9 days later after trying to carry out suggested wrist exercises because i was still in severe pain. After an examination and x-ray from an A+E doctor i was told my wrist was infact still broken and i shouldnt have been doing any of the excercises. I was put back in a cast and told to attend the fracture clinic 2 days later. I attended the fracture clinic and was yet again taken out of the cast and was told by a consultant i had osteoparosis at 27years old, and this is why my bone had not healed (they refused to consider the possibility that it hadnt healed because i was without a cast and had being moving it as suggested). I requested a second opinion and was reffered to a different consultant which i attended today. This particular consultant had disagreed completely with the osteoparosis diagnosis, so much so he diagnosed me with CRPS. This has left me very confussed as everything i have researched has indicated that CRPS occurs after a Fracture has healed. 

Is this possible?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh forgot to add I also had Dexa scan and results confirmed that I am between normal and osteopenia. X
  • Posted

Hi Cillasmum. Can I ask why Dr has recommended pamidronite infusion, as this seems to be a med for osteoporosis to stop bones breaking down?
    • Posted

Hi Maddy I hope you are well. Before administering the pamidronite drug infusion the  pain consultant explained that this is primarily used to treat osteoporosis. However the consultant then went on to explain there has been some some degree of improvement when used on those patients diagnosed with CRPS. Once administered it is expected to work from about 8 weeks onwards. For information i had a recent Dexa scan and results came back near normal. The PM consultant has also offered a one off drug infusion called phentolamine but going to wait a while to determine if the pamidronite improves my condition. Has also mentioned spinal cord stimulator which is similar to an epidural. This treatment is know to reduce pain in 50% of patients. I hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Cillasmum, thanks for that. There seems to be so many different treatments. I've been diagnose d with osteopenia. I was give. Bisohosphonate which didn't suit me, I'm considering injection form but don't like the idea of side effects. Rheumatologist and pm haven't suggested it's any help with crps, I've just various anaesthetic injections in my hand and then one brachial plexus injection, but nothing seems to be working

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.