Crps symptoms?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had hand surgery to fix tendons, nerves, and a after in my hand. I'm almost 6 months out and always had pain and discover l discomfort, different temperatures hurt worse, my hand swells without notice, and it turns all sorts of different colors. Since the injury I haven't been able to move my fingers at all and any pressure or movement sends pain up my arm. My surgeon said that I should be pain free by now. On top of this my tendons are too be believed stuck in scar tissue, he said I'll be having another surgery to free them up in November.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Complex regional pain syndrome is to not be taken lightly! It is a terrible thing. Because the nature of my injuries, I wasn't diagnosed until early this year, And that was close to 3 years after my accident. So for me I don't have a chance... but for you, things could be much better?

The earlier the diagnoses , the better. You need to find a doctor who has a general understanding of this disease. Especially if getting another procedure, but if not handled correctly can cause things to spread.

• Posted

Thank you very much. I will have to get checked out immediately.

I've noticed slightly cold temperatures will make my hand then odd colors. Even if I'm washing my hands. Warm water feels so hot to my hand since this injury, and if I rinse my hand with cold water it is a different color and will stay for awhile.

• Posted

I don't have the hot feelings anymore. I know get the cold sensations. Feels like when your leg falls asleep...kinda numb and cold.

• Posted

I have the same one of my toes is numb from surgery but the last to days its feeling cool im crying alot too

• Posted

Hi Matthew

As in previous reply PLEASE make sure this is not CRPS! As having another procedure could be detrimental to your prognosis if you have developed this disease (which, although I'm not a doctor, your symptoms are sounding very much as if you have) colour /temp change and pain that is unusual for the injury are the strongest initial symptoms.

As already advised, please find a medical practitioner that knows something about this disease and get their opinion before proceeding with further invasive procedures.. They can literally disable you for life and should only be performed if absolutely necessary. You have a chance early in the diagnosis to alter your path with this disease.. Most of us didn't get that and would have done anything to have had that opportunity.

We wish you all the best and keep is posted on how you're doing

Andrea

• Posted

Thank you. For some time I've been in pain. Almost a constant burning sensation, and frequently sharp sharp pains. I don't have any movement yet but my thumb and. Pointer finger move some. And my doctor tells me to try to do everything I used to do to help my chances of movement. And then pain strikes and I end up dropping everything.

• Posted

Hi Matthew

Seems like a standard thing for medical practitioners to say ,and is appropriate with initial injury but if you have developed CRPS 'pushing'through the pain can be detrimental to you both physically and mentally and can initiate a "flare up" of your symptoms. Once you get a definite diagnosis a physiotherapist that knows about treating this disease would be your best advocate

Please don't so too much until you find out for sure. Loss of function with the limb is so important to prevent but sometimes pushing it and not listening to your symptoms can cause this disease to spread and or aggrevate it.

Keep us posted.

Andrea

• Posted

Yes most defiantly.

I went to therapy today and it was very intense. We did the usual heat to start out, ultra sound to help release the stuck tendons, e sim to help, and hands on stretching. The heat hurts while it's pushing down and the rest was just unreal. I was gripping the seat and the therapist asked if I was taking anything and said no cause I ran out. She told me to get on the phone and call after which I did.

I told the doctor how everything was playing out how if the pain continues like this I don't know how much more therapies I can take. And they said that I shouldn't be experiencing pain like this, this far out of surgery. And I have a appointment next week for further test.

• Posted

Oh Matthew ..this is concerning ..the whole 'push through it' attitude is not conducive to CRPS..did you mention to doc that you were concerned that it may be CRPS..

keep us posted ..and please if you're suffering this much you need to stress that your quality of life is being greatly affected..the witholding of meds is inhumane..

• Posted

Went to the doctor and all they said was the pain is from the nerves trying to fire. Told them all of my symptoms and they checked me movement out. My movement is very slight still and they also said some of the deep pains is from the adhesion of the tendons.

So far I am lost on what is going on. The pain during therapy is agonizing and they said all I can do is push through it. They said they wouldn't give any medications guess they want me to have a break from them until my next surgery.

• Posted

It's hard for doctors to know especially if the injury affects the nerves; which can take up to 18 months to heal. So in the meantime, a doctor not knowing much about CRPS is simply going to tell you "they are healing." So you might want to see if there is a doctor local to you that specializes, or understands it!

• Posted

I still have the burning sensation in the palm over the surgery site. Pain down my fingers which two are completely numb due to the severed artery. Feels like my two fingers are getting stiffer, muscle spasms every now and then, shiny hand coloration that work cooler temps turns blue and warmer temps feels cold and red. Swelling on the fingers still and I'm 5 months or so out. Excessive night sweating mainly upper torso and with my splint on during the day it still sweats. Pain deep feels like it's too the bone.

• Posted

hi matthew.....sorry to read about your trauma.  I broke my wrist back in february and am still dealing with very little movement in wrist and fingers.  the bone has healed but I was diagnosed with crps.  I am taking a compound drug called Naltrexone.  It has worked miracles for me.  I no longer have the burning pain in my arm.  I can actually touch my arm and the wind no longer hurts me.  I can wear long sleeve shirts again.  My skin has very little temperture and color changes now.  I am also taking Gabapentin to help with the nerve pain.  I am in physical therapy 5 days a week but we are aware of my limits.  you can't push it too hard.  ask your doc about Naltrexone.  hoping you find relief soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.